Monday, November 12, 2012

EDM w/ DJ Heavygrinder

Who's up for some DDR first thing on Monday morning?!  Did you get enough java to survive? haha

So every once and awhile (especially on a Monday), I got to switch up the genres and throw some new tunes in the mix.  While scouring the net during the work week, I came across a great DJ named HEAVYGRINDER.  Great beats, a great fan base and always upbeat in her conversations.

So as luck would have it I got in touch with DJ Heavygrinder and asked for a small interview to inject some EDM into this blog for you dancin folks out there.  She was kind enough to hash out some questions for me. But let's get a background of DJHG first before we dive into the Q&A...

(Photo courtesy of DJHG Facebook)

A native of Seattle, HeavyGrinder currently resides in Los Angeles where she is a full time celebrity DJ. At age thirteen, she began to actively pursue her love of music and being on center stage by taking up vocal training and modeling. After years of traveling, she made her way to LA in 1998. It was in the City of Angels that she realized her new love, cozying up to the sounds of underground dance music, captivated by the power of the DJ and the reaction of the crowd.

A dream was born. HeavyGrinder is capturing the attention of audiences worldwide. Spain ( Ibiza ), Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia and Mexico have been key international stops for this talent so far. In the Los Angeles club scene alone, she has played at most notable venues including Key Club, Highlands, Century Club, Avalon, Sunset Room and White Lotus. When she's not playing in her hometown, HG is regularly headlining events across the United States at some of the biggest clubs and has performed in cities from Anchorage to Washington D.C., and Atlanta back to Honolulu as well as dozens of cities in between.

HeavyGrinder is continually hard at work on her own music production and has released a track featuring the veteran vocal talents of SuSu Bobien on the well-respected house label, Soundmen on Wax; as well as a track 'You think You do' that was pressed on vinyl by Star Fruits Records.

Most notably, Japan has an album to call their own with the release of her compilation CD "Living a Dream". Also of stalwart acumen, her Worldwide-released mix CD entitled "Eternity" is available on Amazon and through Best Buy. Simultaneously, HeavyGrinder's first single from her album Eternity, "Mind Eraser," was a Top 40 iTunes hit for 5 weeks. Her release "Break the Wall" was featured in KFC-Japan's TV and in-store advertising. Meanwhile, her releases, "Bass is my BF" & "Superstar," were charted on beatport.com's top 100 in electro house. With many more collabrations and productions on the horizon, she is positioned to rock the electro world like no other female artist.

She has played alongside the likes of Darude, Tommie Sunshine and Uberzone among others as well as playing alongside Dirty South on the renowned Groove Cruise between Miami and the Bahamas.

Whether it's a DJ performance, a mix CD release or her efforts in music production, HG continues to demonstrate why she has an ever-growing fan base around the world–including 1 million friends on MySpace and over 16,000 fans on Facebook–and why she will continue to be a name to follow for many years to come.



Thanks again for taking the time to do this Q&A with me.  We are very excited and happy to have our first EDM interview on here.  So let's get started.  How long have you been in the DJing game now?

Since 2001 - 11 years!

Is EDM your niche genre, or do other genres and artists capture your attention?

EDM is my niche as far as DJIng and production go but I definitely pay attention to a wide spectrum of genres/music/artists and which greatly differentiate and influence my style.

Is there a band or an artist out there you would ever like to collaborate on?  Why so?

That would be my favorite Death Metal Band - Cannibal Corpse! They are the reason for my name 'HeavyGrinder' and their sound has greatly influenced my Metal-Electro style production as of late.

What's your setup looking like nowadays?  Have you generally stuck to similar gear in the past or is it always a upgrading game for you?

I started off on turntables and vinyl back in 01. My current setup are the 2000's and 800 mixer - thanks to Pioneer.  =)


(Photo courtesy of DJHG Facebook)

Inspiration for loops and beats?  Where are you looking for such inspiration?

I am always looking to make my production sound edgy/different and always find inspiration through sampling live instruments, sounds and pretty much any noise you can think of. I am constantly searching through sample kits to keep the library fresh!

Are you a fan of bridging genres?  Any genres in particular you are a fan of collaborating with? (I saw the Tool, Pantera and Maroon 5 influences so I had to ask)

Most definitely! I am all about combining Metal x Electro.

Favourite metal band of all time?

CANNIBAL CORPSE \m/

Salvador Dali is quite interesting person I will agree on your post. Why is he your favourite artist?

I love his surrealist style! I am fascinated by his use of symbolism and his incorporation of psychoanalysis in his work.

The LA music scene is always happening with a plethora of genres, but how about your native town of Seattle?  Is EDM style music in the forefront there?

Definitely!

Being around for 10+ years, you must have certain performances and shows hat stuck out greatly in your mind.  Care to divulge any of these times/places and why?

Playing for the crowd at el devino in Ibiza, Spain was my dream and that definitely stuck out.

Being this is a Canadian based blog, do you have much of a following in Canada?  If so, any specific cities/venues?

I love Winnipeg! I have played all over Canada and loved every show but definitely made some great friends over there.



Do you feel that social media and the online world have contributed to your success as an artist?

Yes. It has definitely enabled me to reach more people with my music!

Which brings me to my next point and the ever obvious 'trolling' that seems never ending behind a shroud of secrecy.  How do you deal with negative influences (not constructive criticism) that sometimes make their way to Facebook/Myspace/Twitter pages?

At first it was hard but now I just learned to ignore them. :) Not everyone is going to like you and that is something that most artists have to deal with. I do what I do and continue to enjoy and love every moment of it thanks to my amazing friends/fans and their continued and growing support and love over the years. I focus on positive vibes and spreading the love of music!

You have generated quite a bit of buzz around your name is the past few years, and it seems that it all falls back on hard, dedicated work.  Do you got any words of wisdom for other future DJs (male or female) that are looking to follow in your footsteps?

Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you love to do. No one can take away your passion and love for music!

(Photo courtesy of DJHG Facebook)

Reverse question... "Who is your Role Model and Why?"

Audrey Hepburn! She is not a DJ/Producer but she is my role model. I look up to her for being gracious, intelligent, kind, classy and for her devotion to making the world a better place.

More rhetorical than anything else, but I commend your post you made on Facebook.  Sometimes the journey seems more exciting than the destination.  Kudos for the encouragement to your listeners.

When I first started DJing in 2001, I was very young and broke. I worked two jobs - had to be up at 3am to be at a coffee shop at 5 am and worked the evenings at a independent clothing store. I saved every extra penny to buy my equipment. Wasn't able to afford top of the line technic's at the time so I ended up learning on gemini's. As long as you learn the principle and basics, the equipment you learn on doesn't matter in my opinion. Between making ends meet and getting by, I used all of my earnings on record shopping...

It wasn't easy getting to play shows being bashed for being one of the few female DJs at the time and having a model background. Every time I felt like I couldn't take it anymore I reminded myself of how hard I struggled to learn and be able to get my own music and how much love I had for the art of DJing.

I'm writing this note today to encourage people to do what they love and believe in yourself.

Sending my love and support to my music lovers.



Once again, I want to thank DJHG for taking the time to sit down and do a Q&A with AFGM (also, a thanks a shout out to her management team for getting me in touch with her).


For more information on DJ Heavygrinder and her past/current works, check her out on any of the following official links:

No comments:

Post a Comment