Friday, June 7, 2013

Red Handed Denial - An Interview with Lauren Babic

After releasing their debut EP "Eyes and Liquid Skies" in late 2009, Red Handed Denial cut their teeth at some of the best venues in Toronto, relentlessly honing their sound while building an unforgettable live performance. In 2012 they entered the renowned Iguana Studios to record and release their latest single "Violent Delights", a song with the refreshing new taste of what's to come.

Now after a year of struggles, Red Handed Denial is in the studio once again, this time to record their debut full-length "Stories of Old" with a vision so complete and their most powerful songs yet. With a mix of influences from hard rock, pop, and even jazz, this is one band that will not quit, and one that you have not heard the last of. 

This is passion. This is Red Handed Denial...


Red Handed Denial is:

Lauren Babic - Vocals | Chris Mifsud - Guitar | Aleksei Perepelitsa - Guitar
Neil Jones - Bass / Vocals | Tyson Dang - Drums

Quite the amount of buzz coming from this Toronto based band RED HANDED DENIAL.  I learned about these guys (and gal) through their vocalist Lauren Babic.  At 20 years old, the young lady has got her whole leg in the door (never mind the foot) when it comes to making a music buzz in the online world.  As you could read from their band bio above, the group has worked on a few tracks here and there for their EP "Eyes and Liquid Skies" and their single "Violent Delights".  About to embark on their debut full length album, I thought what a better time to get some Q&A in with the band before I might have to reserve my interview slot (haha).  So I contacted Lauren via Facebook to talk about the upcoming LP release and some personal questions relating to her own music endeavours.

(*NOTE: All photos courtesy of Red Handed Denial)

Hi Lauren, so how did the band settle on the name Red Handed Denial? What meaning falls behind the name?

The band name precedes my time as a member of RHD. To me, it’s an enigma!

Can you give us some details surrounding the new album coming out?

"Stories of Old” is 3 years in the making, so we've taken the time to craft something truly unique and eclectic. Listeners can expect a high level of diversity. There is something for everyone on this album.

Who did the album artwork?

We created and put together the artwork ourselves!


Was there a common theme behind the album? Did each song have a different story to tell?

At first, I don’t think I had a specific theme in mind as far as lyrical content was concerned. But overtime, I saw a greater subject emerging in what I was writing. Heroism, determination, good vs. evil – I wanted to write something that would uplift people. In this crazy world we live in, I think people forget about the goodness in the world, and I wanted to emulate that.

Where was the album recorded?

We recorded the album at Mobus Music with engineer/producer Mark Jossul in Ajax, Ontario, Canada.

Did you find the recording process to be rather smooth with little hiccups in the process?

There are always little snags you hit along the way. But it’s all part of the process!


(If so) can you give some advice to bands ready to hit a studio for recording?

I would say recording rough demos first is crucial. Even if the sound quality is bad, jamming out a song versus actually recording it can sound very different.

Are there any differences in structure, quality, or vibe for "Stories of Old" as compared to "Violent Delights" or "Eyes and Liquid Skies"?

I think the differences between these 3 releases truly show our growth as a band and as people. When we did “Eyes and Liquid Skies” in 2009, we were pretty inexperienced as recording artists. Like, I was only 18 years old! I’ve learned so much in 4 years. We’ve also had 3 band member changes since then, which has definitely impacted our musical influences. So with that, there have been some stylistic changes in our sound. But I’m confident it will be received well.



Touring in the works?

I hope so!!

After someone has spun "Stories of Old", what is one thing you want them to take away from the album?

I would want listeners to be inspired. The whole album stands as a symbol of perseverance.


Can you give us some insight as to what kind of struggles you had to deal with as a band and how you overcame them?

There was a period where the motivation levels were low amongst our 2 previous band members. It sucked to know that they weren't feeling the music anymore. It took a long time to sort it all out. Even though there is no bad blood now, it was clear that there were too many conflicting artistic opinions within the band. From that experience, the current members definitely learned that there has to be teamwork and compromise within the band for everything to be harmonious. We’re in a great place right now to move forward!

Why did you choose "Vehement, indefatigable and sultry" as your three words?

We’re passionate, persistent, and obviously sexy. ;)

How did you manage a guest spot on The Residence? How did the process go for you to record vocals with them?

They had contacted me via Facebook and asked me to sing on “This Is All I Have”. I really dug the track so I was happy to lay down the chorus for them. They sent me the lyrics and I then recorded it at my home studio. The internet opens so many doors nowadays!



So you seem to be a big fan of vocal covers. Truth be told, I found out about you when I saw your Periphery cover of "Ragnarok". What vocal covers do you have on the go?

I have a bunch lined up, including some collaborations with some guitarists and drummers. But I can’t spoil the surprise!




Ultimate guest vocal spot, which band/artist would it be?

I wouldn't be able to pick just one, but it would be really rad to sing with someone like Brandon Boyd or Trent Reznor.

Words of wisdom to aspiring musicians out there?

Just jump in!

OK, so time for some AMA (ask me anything).  But I still want to focus on music, so you got a favourite band/artist?

I can NOT answer that! There are just too many in a wide range of genres. Right now I’m into Heartist, Periphery, The Weeknd, and the Steeldrivers.

Favourite album of 2013 thus far?

“Sempiternal” by Bring Me The Horizon and Paramore’s self titled have impressed me the most so far!



One band who would be your ultimate tour?

RHD, Evanescence, Periphery, Flyleaf, the Used. Would be RAD.

One artist/musician you'd like to have a guest spot on a RHD song?

It would be awesome to have the voices of Spencer Sotelo of Periphery or Bryce Beckley of Heartist on an RHD song. I think their styles would mesh well with our sound.

With the album nearing completion, be sure to keep an eye/ear out for Red Handed Denial.  Here is how you can stay in touch with the band.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment