Monday, June 10, 2013

The Ghost Inside - Get What You Give

So it kind of works out nice that I have family members in various corners of Toronto.  This gives me the much needed time to grab a spot on the TTC, pop in my headphones and crank an album from start to finish.  The Ghost Inside's latest album "Get What You Give" was my drug of choice for the cruise.  I wanted an album that could be played from start to finish without hesitation, something with a little energy, and TGI did just that.  So here is what my synopsis of the album looks like...

If there was ever a battle cry for the modern warrior, "This Is What I Know About Sacrifice" would be a top contender.  The song simply rips into full motion without any caution or word to the wise.  Pummeling you for the short spurt that seems to be ending all too fast.


"Outlive" follows right after like the left hook after the right jab.  The fusion of both punk and metal adds a blend to work over even the harshest of 'hardcore' critics.  The songs ends off with a simple but low ended breakdown; gang and solo vocals soaring over top to close off the track.

"Engine 45" would be the train on an unfinished track (all puns intended).  Speeding down the way, not really sure where its going to derail.  OK, just messing.  The song does justice the whole way through.  But a good choice for their first single/music video.  It was a great return for the LA boys after "Returners".

FULL SPEED AHEAD!!


(For melody fans, I recommend listening around the 2:20 mark.  Really brings an element to the album I was not expecting.)

TGI doesn't strike me as the breakdown/chorus/auto tune type, so hearing some melody in a few tracks showed the ballad side of the band.

Almost like redemption, the guys jump right back into the action with "Slip Away" and "The Great Unknown".  Both solid tracks through and through.  It still showcases the precision of the band; maybe too much of a digital feel for some, but not enough to not enjoy the songs.



Sending it back with some decent punk beats, "Dark Horse" somehow formed my hair into a mohawk.  One of the tracks where friends gather, shotgun a beer and start a slam dance.  Ending out the song is your cut and dry breakdown into some harmony of screams over some side vocals.  Not bad, but one annoyance in an overflowing industry such as metal core.

Cliche to see the "White Light" at the end of the tunnel?  What a great track, and somehow the track was slightly uplifting.  Blame it on the chorus or the upbeat work of the guitars, it was definitely one that got me revved up.

"Thirty Three" was poppy, I'll be the first to admit.  It gives the impression of a hard fronted song, but it gave me the.pop metal between the opening bars and the chorus.  Not going it any less credit, just noticed it as.compared to other tracks.  Moving on...



Trying to pick the right emotion for "Face Value" is a tough one I found.  I would imagine myself at one of their concerts and thinking 'what I would be doing?'  I think first and foremost we'd have to clear some space, and possibly open a decent circle pit.  Then again, I don't expect people to be sippin on their coffees and 2 stepping to their music either, so a pit seems like the most logical idea here (haha).  Blood pumping right from the get go once again.  2:20...

It seems the band wanted to ens off the album like they started it.  Noble of them to do so, its always nice to see bands capping off albums on a high note.  "Deceiver" does just that as the second last track off the album.  I think TGI did in fact want to "Test The Limits" when closing off the album.  Not losing those pink roots and the fine transition into a metal riff really.


A band I have seen numerous times and would pay a ticket for every time.  They have great energy, the fans appreciate them and show it every time they come to town, the music is solid, the band is tight and it obviously falls into the punk infused metal core that seems to be working quite well for me.  All jokes aside, when is the next album dammit?!

You can also check out my previous article surrounding the release of this album.  Check it out on the link below:

AFGM: Get What You Give

No comments:

Post a Comment