Monday, August 11, 2014

First Song Downloaded Illegally

So Metal Injection did a really cool interview with a few bands such as Revocation, Ringworm, Eyehategod, and many other musicians.  In the interview, the main question asked is 'what was the first song you downloaded ILLEGALLY?'

Hopefully this video not only gives you insight if you are a fan of these bands, but it also brought back a flood of memories while in my teens and rebelling against the machine with Napster and Limewire.



Now can anyone remember what was their first illegally downloaded song?  I will be the first one here to jump in with both feet.  It was mid 1999 and Napster was at an all time high with it's introduction to "peer2peer" downloading.  This was in or around the time that Napster had a HUUUGE lawsuit on their hands against the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).  Nonetheless, I was just about to turn thirteen and I was curiously looking for some new music to compile and "burn" my first mix CD.

Limp Bizkit was entering the charts for their hit single "Nookie" and I knew I had to get my hands on this song somehow.  The local record store (which I became an employee off later on) would not sell explicit albums to minors (coughlamecough).  So I decided to be vindictive and use my computer skills to find this song.  SUCCESS!

So after that quick recollection, I turn the same question to you.  What was the FIRST song you illegally downloaded from the internet?  Do you remember why you did it?  What did you feel after doing it?

I know in my experience that blasting 128 kbps was in hindsight not the greatest of downloads, but for those few weeks it was on constant repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment