Monday, July 27, 2015

Pan Am: What Was The Big Deal?

I think my rant for the morning will obviously follow on the heels of the Pan Am closing ceremonies.  While I was not in attendance (both at the venue or on the TV), I knew that many friends and family members would surely be paying attention. From what I have read and seen, I am kind of glad I did not.

Pan Am Games closing ceremony: Fans cheer Team Canada, Kanye West's mic cuts out


Now most of you might get the impression that I am not a Kanye fan.  I think my relationship with his music turned after the first few albums of his work.  College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation were all top notch albums!  Songs such as "Through The Wire", and "All Falls Down" had me reinvigorated in the hip hop scene.  Hell, I'll even settle for a spoonful of 808s & Heartbreak (such as "Heartless") when the time calls for it.  Maybe it's the ego, maybe its the spotlight, but I can assure you that there is no 'hating' simply because we want to be him.  Far from it; we want him to be an artist that embodies the spirit of music, not the megalomaniac we now see before us.  At least that's what had me bypassing his performance.

(Photo courtesy of PanAm/Parapan, and Wikipedia)



Kanye West wows crowd at Pan Am closing ceremony


While I know Pitbull and Serena's performance seemed to go over very well with the crowd (and honestly, how could you not when Serena was responsible for the official Pan Am anthem), but I think that also.showed something that might have been glossed over.  The crowd wasn't upset it was a pop artist headlining, because if that was the case, then Pitbull would have been as UN-welcomed as Kanye was.  But the difference I found was the approach.  Pitbull didn't need to be there, but he was energetic, optimistic, and thoroughly wanted to be a part of this event.  Not sure I could say the same for Yeezus, especially after that mic throw and walk off.  Craig from AFGM happened to be in attendance for the closing ceremonies.  While he did dive into it too much, this is what I gathered from his sentiments.

I am not one to complain but what was that at the Pan Am closing ceremonies?  Everything was amazing with the organizers...then the music part comes in.  Serena Ryder, and even Pitbull (which I am not a fan) did a great job.  Very personable with the crowd; then followed by Kanye West.  I don't know if that was called a performance or not. 

How much did they pay for this guy to....I can't even say perform, he just jumped around the stage or walked around sang terrible with back up music.  He didn't address the crowd, wasn't personable with them, etc.  Just like him always thinking about himself, and he calls himself the greatest rock and roll star?  After his set he just throws his microphone up in the air and leaves the stage and that was it. Even the TV person from CBC didn't even mention his name.  I honestly don't get it. -Craig (via Facebook)

Kanye West Throws Mic, Walks Off But Still Impresses at Pan Am Games Closing Ceremony


So all in all, I am not here to condemn or criticize people for liking Kanye.  If his music appeals to you, then listen to it!  I have my own reasons why I choose to focus my time and attention on other artists, but different strokes for different folks right?  However, I am still scratching my head at the organizers of Pan Am for their decision to bring such an artist to an international event like this.  The onslaught of social media and backlash are a direct result of poor marketing, lack of ticket sales, and the ultimate need to book a major headliner (whether embodying the game or not) for the sake of filling a venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment