Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cirque du Skrillex presents LIGHT

If there is one thing that I enjoy most about music and about shows is creativity.  I know that a fair amount of the shows I attend do not have much more than some amps, a few small lights and a bunch of guys and gals jumping on stage to the beat of their tracks.  I do my best to take it for what it is and just focus on the music, but at what point is it worth my bang for buck?  I remember hearing at some point in my life that musicians should not only focus on their music, but their image and performance, none above the other.  While that seems to take away from the essence of the music, I feel it plays a vital role in how we view artists and why we pay large quantities of cash to see them in concert.  

You get both sides of the spectrum on a daily basis.  You get metal, rock and blues musicians (among other genres as well) who are all about their music.  They give no shit for their image or if they have any fancy lights on stage to entertain you with.  Then we have a large portion of the hip-hop/pop industry where fashion is everything.  We are quick to judge what outfit these artists are wearing versus the lyrical content, music structure and performance as a whole.  Finding the middle ground (I guess) is my myth I am always on the lookout for. 

So not that all of you will be interested in the club scene or even have a shred of interest to step foot in a club.  Why would you?

- You wait in a never ending line at which a bouncer can ultimately decide whether or not to let you in, pending on his mood, taste and bias.

- Then when you get to the front of the line, you have to pay ridiculous cover charges to even set foot in the club.

- After which you have to whip out that stack of cash to pay top dollar for drinks that normally cost you 1/10th of the price in the store.  If you got a female on your arm, that's now double.

- You got an wayyyy over packed room full of drunk people bumping into each other, spilling drinks and starting fights over something so minuscule.  I'm sure fire departments wouldn't be able to hand out fines fast enough if they made weekly visits to these big clubs.

- You have music that is way beyond the level of conversation music, an eventually lose your voice from attempting to talk to the people you are with.

- Washrooms that are usually filled with piss on the floor, missing rolls of TP, sinks that are either clogged or broken, and if you're lucky, a few lines of coke in the bathroom stall.

- If someone becomes increasingly aggressive towards you and you attempt to defend yourself or even continuing to converse with same, the bouncers care nothing of you and will see you out the door just as fast as the aggressive counterpart.

Seems like fun doesn't it?  It's not that bad every time but being around the club scene in Toronto long enough you start to see a correlation.  Sometimes the clubs (if managed properly) can have some of the best times and parties.  Some good times shared indeed, so not trying to knock everything about the club scene, cause some people consider these places their homes.  Why though, I have no idea. haha



So enough of my rant about clubs and back on topic about this innovative idea.  I never thought I would see a project with the amount of creativity they are putting into... a nightclub?  Legendary acrobat company Cirque du Soleil and the City of Las Vegas have teamed up with notable DJ's such as Skrillex, Zedd, Alesso and Baauer to create one of the most sophisticated and new age clubs the city has yet to experience.  Set to open on April 26th (3950 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89119), there is a lot of effort and preparation going into this.


Not that I am still a massive fan of clubs or that this would win me over, but I would at least like the opportunity to experience what will set this club aside from all other clubs on the strip.  I have no doubt that Guy Laliberté and the designers at Cirque will outperform (or at least attempt to) most of the competition in the nearby area, which means some tough times ahead to try and get in.  At least for the first little bit till the "wow" wears off.

"The LIGHT Skrillex show is gonna be only in Vegas.  I want it be distinct to the LIGHT club because the configuration is so customizable, it's fucking crazy. That's the thing about the club, too: they can do anything, so it's how you maximize the dynamic of a great show with all their fucking bells and whistles and all of their budgets and resources to do anything." -Skrillex


From what I am seeing through the artist concepts and the video to go along with it, I am thinking that my senses would be going into overload upon entering the club.  The sound is always the heart of my discussion in AFGM, but the visuals that go along with the club will be impressive enough on it's own, considering the modern day technology that lighting and sound companies get access to.

"The cool thing is, Zedd's show is gonna be different than mine; Alesso's show is gonna be different than Baauer's.  I'm getting in with these guys on a personal level; we're designing something that fits the club – and that's what's cool about LIGHT, too. Every show is gonna feel like a whole different experience." -Skrillex



For more info, please visit: www.thelightvegas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment