Monday, February 4, 2013

Buddy Guy - Live At Legends

Man, what I wouldn't give to be waking up this morning in the good ol city of Chicago after seeing Mr. Buddy Guy after a solid performance.  But alas, I snap out of my morning haze and realize I am just on a bus on the way to work with Buddy Guy's Live At Legends album in my headphones.  I digress back to reality I go (haha).


1. Intro (Live)
2. Best Damn Fool (Live)
3. Mannish Boy (Live)
4. I Just Want To Make Love To You/Chicken Heads (Live) 
5. Skin Deep (Live) 
6. Damn Right I Got The Blues (Live)
7. Boom Boom/Strange Brew (Live)
8. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)/Sunshine Of Your Love (Live)
9. Polka Dot Love 
10. Coming For You
11. Country Boy

So my morning commute was off to a more light heart sound versus the normal daily distortion my ears crave.  I was in more of a soulful mood this morning and wanted to hear some no bullshit talent just start whaling on the guitar.  I think my thought process for this came about while attending the Bovine Sex Club on the weekend to check out The Unchained.  Though vastly different in sound, both Mike and Ange were just going to town on the Gibson Les Paul guitars and thus resonated through me to listen to something with a little more groove than speed.

I opted for Buddy Guy this morning because I already had a copy of the album on hand, he's #30 on Rolling Stone Magazine's all time guitarist list, his Live At Legends series was some of the best blues rock that Chicago has to offer and he managed to add a few licks from other musicians (Jimi Hendrix, Cream, John Lee Hooker) to round out the album.  Being officially released on December, 18th, 2012, Live at Legends also contains three (previously unreleased) studio recordings from Guy's critically acclaimed "Living Proof" album sessions.



For those wondering where this Live At Legends is located and recorded, 700 S. Wabash Avenue in the great ol city of Chicago.  Here's some history surrounding Buddy Guy's residency (when not on tour):

Since its opening in June of '89, Buddy Guy's Legends has built a reputation as the nation's premier blues club. Mr. Guy's personal reputation as the crowned king of Chicago's electric blues scene and his 50+ years in the music business have made Buddy truly a legend himself. As a blues club, Legends is distinguished for its innovative scheduling of local, national, and international blues acts. In the twenty-one years that Legends has been open, the stage has been graced by some of the world's most talented musicians. Van Morrison, Willie Dixon, Albert Collins, Bo Diddley, The Rolling Stones, The Black Crowes, Dr. John, Lou Rawls, David Bowie, ZZ Top, Junior Wells, Slash, John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Greg Allman, and The Pointer Sisters are just a few examples of the talent that has graced the stage. Buddy Guy himself takes the stage every January, selling out over a dozen shows year after year, delighting crowds that have traveled from all over the world.


While the Legends stage has played host to a myriad of true blues legends, the walls themselves talk, filled with pieces of Buddy's and Blues history. Where else can blues fans find original artwork painted on the wall, records, rare photos and Grammys, along with personal items from some of the world's most influential performers? You'll see two of Buddy Guy's Grammys and his Rock & Roll Hall of Fame statue; a photo of Buddy, Eric Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan taken at Vaughan's final concert. A world-renowned collection of guitars can be found over the main bar, signed by B.B. King, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, as well as Jimmy and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

In November 1994, Eric Clapton graced the stage with three sold-out performances. The unprecedented concerts awed the crowd as Clapton called up Otis Rush to jam and nodded to the Who's Pete Townsend, who had stopped by to take in the show. Legends truly lives up to its name.

There is only one place in Chicago to experience the finest blues seven nights a week, enjoy fantastic southern Cajun soul food and behold a major archive of blues memorabilia. That place is Buddy Guy's Legends. Voted "Best Blues Club" several times over by Living Blues Magazine, Citysearch, and AOL, Legends continues to be a mecca for the blues.



Now the sound tends to vary from track to track.  When kicking off the album, you can hear some distinction between "Best Damn Fool" (taken from 2008’s Skin Deep album) and Muddy Water's "Mannish Boy" especially with guitar tone and level, but I find it to be more the spirit of blues versus a perfect mixing.  Especially with myself, I have learned over time that those little imperfections are what makes the album signature.  The tracks themselves are the essence of blues, as they seems to incorporate identifiable guitar solos, distinct blues distortion and some vocals that no one could dispute.  Not sure really how else to put it other than it's blues, plain and simple.

A couple of the tracks didn't catch my attention as much as I hoped, such as "Skin Deep" and the Muddy Waters classic "Country Boy" where I seemed to be falling asleep more than needed on my ride in.  The fine line picking songs that will not blow your eardrums first thing, but also enough energy to keep me awake for the remainder of the day.  I feel your music taste of the day should be equally important as choosing what to eat for breakfast.  A good dose of music can make or break your day.  I understand why Guy ultimately had these tracks added as it encompasses what having 'the blues' is all about.



Guy jumps right back into the groove on the album by playing "Damn Right I Got The Blues" and "Boom Boom/Strange Brew".  Some of the covers performed here not only give tribune to their respected creators, but also has Guy throw a little but of a twist on them to not make it seems like a cover band evening.  I'm sure Clapton, Hooker and Hendrix would be proud.

All in all, the album is rather short in length, especially from the live perspective.  But I can understand that this was a compilation of recordings throughout the "Legends" shows that Guy has been performing so there was no real set list or order.  Just basically whatever came out sounding good on the mixing board made the cut.  Other than the length of the album, I was satisfied and can still see why Guy is a living legend.  The man brings soul, heart and groove in a matter of minutes from the opening chord.  This is one of the few genres of music I can actually see myself progressing with if I ever reached my pinnacle or hard rock/heavy metal.  I know it seems early but it definitely makes me want to start planning my trip for the 2013 Chicago Blue Festival.

“You mastered the soul of gut bucket, you made a bridge from roots to rock ‘n roll. When you hear the blues, you really don’t think of it as black or white or yellow or purple or blue,” Freeman continued. “Buddy Guy, your blue brought us together.” -Morgan Freeman

For now, I will stick with my YouTube videos and aspirations of attending the festival someday; adding another note to the bucket list.  For some extra (and rather prestigious) footage, you can catch Tracy Chapman, Gary Clark Jr. and Jimmy Vaughan paying tribute to guy at the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors, with Buddy Guy in attendance.  Cheers!



"I didn't know a Strat could sound like that — until I heard Buddy's tracks on the Blues From Big Bill's Copa Cabana album.  It was the total manic abandon in Buddy's solos. They broke all boundaries. I just thought, this is more like it! Also, his solos weren't restricted to a three-minute pop format; they were long and really developed." -Jeff Beck



"Buddy Guy was to me what Elvis was for others.  Buddy Guy is by far and without a doubt the best guitar player alive...if you see him in person, the way he plays is beyond anyone. Total freedom of spirit, I guess. He really changed the course of rock and roll blues." -Eric Clapton

No comments:

Post a Comment