Friday, February 1, 2013

The Plot In You - Could Watch Your Children Burn

A short ride this morning prevented me from listening to the entire album.  However, from what I heard so far from THE PLOT IN YOU and their new album "Could Watch Your Children Burn" I have been very impressed.  Far different (I find) from the mediocre bands that Rise Records has seemed to be pushing the last few years, TPIY have found a great formula to deliver some hard riffs while still maintaining a progressive style of writing, if that makes sense to any of you.



1. Premeditated 
2. Fiction Religion
3. Population Control
4. Digging Your Grave
5. Troll
6. The Devil's Contract
7. Shyann Weeps
8. Sober and Soulless 
9. Bible Butcher
10. Glad You're Gone

Opening track "Premeditated" kicks things into high gear right from the get go with screams and a great opening riff.  A good build up overall that definitely makes you want to see what "Fiction Religion" is all about.  "Premeditated" encompasses the hard rock rhythm/clean distinct vocals and some breakdowns and angry lyrical content portrayed by vocalist Landon Tewers.

(***AFGM WARNING:  Video contains brutal images.  Not safe for children or some work places***)


"Fiction Religion" keeps the momentum going; opening with screams and some breakdowns.  The song also comes back to the melody with Tewers belting out "can't seem to shut my brain off, I haven't slept I keep waiting on a sign, I won't live a lie to give meaning to my life, I don't feel anything now, my hope and my faith let me down".  The song structure does seem pretty cut and dry between breakdown and rhythm, but small guitar licks and tempo changes keep me interested to hear the next track.



The Plot In You consists of:

Josh Childress – Guitar | Landon Tewers – Vocals | Cole Worden – Drums | 
Ethan Yoder – Bass | Derrick Sechrist – Guitar

"Population Control" (to me) seems to be more along the style of Rise Records and now make sense why this band was signed by them.  Not saying this is a bad track or anything, but the structure of the song and the vibe seem to mimic other bands on Rise Records' roster.  The production value of the songs are another reason to hold TPIY on another plain of other bands in this genre.  They have incorporated interesting fill pieces for guitar, as well as underlying sound samples such as industrial equipment clanging ("Premeditated") and "Digging Your Grave".

Now moving onto "Digging Your Grave".  The lyrical content seems to be more directed towards musician feuds (aka drama) which I don't buy into.  I do commend Tewers for creating a track to channel his frustrations out on but at the expense of some weak lyrics, well at least I think so.  I understand that a track that is meant to channel frustration can sometimes be an easy form of writers block, so I won't knock the song too much.  The vocals and instruments give the song a good vibe so it makes up for the lack of depth in the song.  Final thought though, I found the pissing track at the end of the song was hilarious.


That's as far as I got into the album thus far.  I am planning to finish off the rest of the album today at the gym.  I must say that Rise Records made a good choice in signing TPIY for this album at least.  The previous album "First Born" was not my cup of tea and seemed to fade into the void that is 'Risecore'.  "Could Watch Your Children Burn" seemed to stand above other recent releases and thus kept me interested.  Kudos to TPIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment