Tuesday, February 26, 2013

NIN 2013/Hesitation Marks


Nine Inch Nails are touring this year.

"I was working with Adrian Belew on some musical ideas, which led to some discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which (many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be, and the idea of playing a show. Calls were made to some friends, lots of new ideas were discussed, and a show was booked - which led to another, which somehow led to a lot of shows.

The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow through 2014.

Lots of details and dates to come. See you soon.

TR"



***UPDATE***

Nine Inch Nails is back in full swing and has been confirmed by Trent Reznor.  See the details regarding the reformation below:

“I’ve been less than honest about what I’ve really been up to lately. For the last year I’ve been secretly working non-stop with Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder on a new, full-length Nine Inch Nails record, which I am happy to say is finished and frankly fucking great.

This is the real impetus and motivation behind the decision to assemble a new band and tour again. My forays into film, HTDA and other projects really stimulated me creatively and I decided to focus that energy on taking Nine Inch Nails to a new place. Here we go!” -Reznor

("I am proud to announce that the tour lineup now includes the incredible Robin Finck. The addition of Robin to the mix of players I've assembled makes this band incredibly powerful and versatile. We are deep in the rehearsal process and it feels exciting and great to be back at this. Lots of information, surprises and sweat headed your way. Stay tuned!  TR")

According to the press release the core live lineup for the band will consist of:

Alessandro Cortini | Josh Eustis | Robin Finck | Ilan Rubin

The album is slated to have 14 tracks, as well as 3 remixes + audio interview with Trent for deluxe package owners.  Now track listing yet for the album, but at least we have some album artwork to boot.  "Hesitation Marks" will be set as the new album title and will be released on September 3rd, 2013 via (newly inked) Columbia Records.

("Hesitation Marks" album artwork)

1. The Eater of Dreams
2. Copy of A
3. Came Back Haunted
4. Find My Way
5. All Time Low
6. Disappointed
7. Everything
8. Satellite 
9. Various Methods of Escape
10. Running
11. I Would for You
12. In Two
13. While I'm Still Here
14. Black Noise

Alternate album covers are going to be available as well for collectors.  Check them out below:




"It feels sparse, and it feels minimal.  It's hard for me to do that. I've realized over the years that if I have 100 tracks, I'll use 110 tracks. This was really about economy. It was just a weird puzzle of grooves.

I don't think it's a gentle record. I do think it's more subversive in how it gets you. It's not about everything being at 11 and the pyrotechnics of sound and scare tactics, which I've definitely used in the past. But it doesn't feel like the middle-aged, I've-given-up record either." -Reznor

Credits for the album are as follows:
Produced by: Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Alan Moulder
Mixed by: Alan Moulder
Mastered by: Tom Baker
Artwork by: Russell Mills
Art Direction by: Rob Sheridan

Additional Musicians:
Pino Palladino
Lindsey Buckingham
Adrian Belew
Eugene Goreshter
Alessandro Cortini
Ilan Rubin
Joshua Eustis



Nine Inch Nails seems to be on a warpath and Reznor is the best man for the action.  The group unfolded everything in one swoop.  By that, I mean reformation, label deal, new single, new album and new tour.  All in a span of a few months.  What a marketing ploy!  This has got me uber excited to see them again when they head back to Toronto.  Ohh, my apologies folks.  Did you see the North American tour for Nine Inch Nails: Tension 2013?!

With Explosions In The Sky:
09/28 St, Paul, MN – Xcel Energy Center
09/30 Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
10/01 St. Louis, MO – Chaifetz Arena
10/03 Montreal, QC – Centre Bell
10/04 Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
10/05 Cleveland, OH – Wolstein Center
10/07 Auburn Hills, MI – The Palace Of Auburn Hills
10/08 Pittsburgh, PA – Petersen Events Center

With Godspeed You! Black Emperor:
10/11 Boston, MA – TD Garden
10/14 Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center
10/15 Newark, NJ – Prudential Center
10/18 Washington, DC – Verizon Center
10/19 University Park, PA – Bryce Jordan Center
10/21 Raleigh, NC – PNC Arena
10/22 Nashville, TN – Bridgestone Arena
10/24 Atlanta, GA – Philips Arena

With Gary Numan:
10/30 Sunrise, FL – BB&T Center
10/31 Orlando, FL – Amway Center

With Explosions In The Sky:
11/05 San Antonio, TX – AT&T Center
11/08 Los Angeles, CA – Staples Center
11/09 Phoenix, AZ – US Airways Center
11/11 El Paso, TX – Don Haskins Center
11/13 Broomfield, CO – 1st Bank Center
11/15 Las Vegas, NV – The Joint
11/16 Las Vegas, NV – The Joint
11/18 Portland, OR – Rose Garden Arena
11/19 Spokane, WA – Spokane Arena
11/21 Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena
11/22 Seattle, WA – KeyArena

With Autolux:
11/24 Edmonton, AB – Rexall Place
11/25 Calgary, AB – Scotiabank Saddledome

"Tension picks up where ‘Lights in the Sky’ left off.  This is the full-on NIN live experience realized as we never could before." -Reznor

New music video already available as well?  Well, slap my industrial ass and give me some of the new stuff!



“We are thrilled at Columbia to work with a true renaissance artist like Trent Reznor on the return of Nine Inch Nails and an exciting new chapter of innovative music from them.” -Rob Stringer (Columbia Records Chairman)

("Came Back Haunted" single)

[For the connection between the new album and The Downward Spiral]

"I felt very aware that it's 20 years later, and I'm still that guy.  I know that guy, and I feel for him. I don't resent him, I don't miss him. But how would things feel on the other side of that now, in a much more stable life place, mentally and physically, and with a new family?

The incentive has changed. It's not about, 'I'm going to kill myself if I don't get this out of my head.' But the excavation and the architecture behind it, the motivation behind it, is similar." -Reznor

Pre-sales have already begun over at NIN's official site, here's a snapshot of what's being sold:


So, after a hiatus that lasted but only a few years, is everyone as excited as I am for new NIN?!  I was fortunate enough to get front row for their last show in Canada before this hiatus but this just puts me right back in the saddle as I plan to grab tickets for their October 4th show in Toronto.



Who's coming with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment