Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Things I Miss: Audiovent

Its a rainy day here in Toronto.  I am scouring through the news and looking for something to talk about, other than the regular music news that you all can read from 1000+ sites (yeah, I know...not as cool as AFGM though haha).  Anyways, I got a text message today (in light of this shitty weather) with the words "when the rain is coming..."

This pretty much made my day since it brought back memories of a great band I never got the chance to see (other than on some late night shows).  I started to pick up on these guys right before the album dropped in '02 and cannot get enough of the melody.  So be warned readers, if you're looking for brutal hardcore beats and gut wrenching vocals, you definitely read the wrong post (haha).  Its all about the grooves and the amazing vocal range of Jason.

Say hello to another guilty pleasure of mine...AUDIOVENT:


- Are these guys anything different from post-grunge rock?  Not really (I don't think).

- Did these guys make a good name for themselves?  Yes, I found them to be under the radar or great rock potential!

- Do these guys rock out just as much?  Hells yeah!

Overall, I do honestly feel these guys should have made more of a dent in the post-grunge rock moment.  I'm sure there are some bands kicking around the industry that we can rate these guys up against.  Whether it be creative differences, label problems or just basically not enough touring, it was a shame to see these guys go in '04.


(Full Moon Paradise)

"Audiovent was an American alternative rock band from Calabasas, California. Audiovent was formed in the early 1990s under the name Vent, and broke up in 2004."

Jason Boyd - Lead vocals (1993–2004)
Benjamin Einziger - Guitar, vocals (1993–2004)
Paul Fried - Bass (1993–2004)
Jamin Wilcox - Drums, vocals (1993–2003)
Ryland Steen - Drums (2003–2004)


Judging from their sound, is it any surprise that three of the band members are related to notable rock group Incubus?

("Three out of four of the original members of Audiovent are related to members of the band Incubus. Jason Boyd is the brother of vocalist Brandon Boyd. Benjamin Einziger is brother of guitarist Mike Einziger, and Paul Fried is their stepbrother.")

Audiovent got their big break chance when the released "Dirty Sexy Knights in Paris" on June 4th, 2002 via Atlantic Records.  The album was produced by Gavin Mackillop (Goo Goo Dolls, Sugarcult, MXPX).


Track listing for  "Dirty Sexy Knights in Paris":

1. The Energy (click here for music video)
2. Looking Down
3. I Can't Breathe
4. Rain
5. One Small Choice
6. Sweet Frustration
7. Stalker
8. Gravity
9. Underwater Silence
10. Back and Forth
11. Beautiful Addiction
12. When I Drown
13. When I Drown (Piano/Strings Version) [Japanese Bonus Track]

And just cause this was one of my favourite songs when cranking the album, I leave you all with:


(Looking Down)

If you want to know what the guys are up to nowadays, check out their Wiki page.

AND cool enough, Amazon still has their album listed for sale!

2 comments:

  1. I miss Audiovent too!!

    Also, thanks for sharing the video I found for Full Moon Paradise!! Glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, you got a good taste in music. Cheers!

      Delete