Monday, May 14, 2012

In The End: An Interview With Tommy VEXT

So (personally) I am very much excited to hear the rest of this project.  I was an avid fan of Tommy when he was performing with Divine Heresy and also the boys from Mutiny Within collaborating here.  Also, much respect to Tommy for taking vocal lessons from Melissa Cross (yeah, yeah, yeah to all the haters of mass metal training) and learning to hone in on his craft.  I am happy to see that VEXT has released it album artwork for the Impermanence EP:


(Artwork by Morgan Phillips)

Vext has went ahead and released a new music video titled "Crush" as of June 1st, 2012.  Check it out below:



For those who are still trying to figure out who and what these guys are about:



"VEXT is an American Metal/Hard Rock band from New Jersey/New York City. Founded by Singer Tommy Vext (Ex-Divine Heresy/Snot) & Bass/Guitarist Andrew Jacobs (ex- Mutiny Within) in summer 2012. They were later joined by former Mutiny Within Drummer Bill Fore & Guitarist/Solo Artist Angel Vivaldi.

These four musicians came together in search of a different sound since they had all been previously involved with more extreme metal projects.   How they came to know one another is a quite unconventional. 

On the evening of Sept. 19th 2010, (ex-Divine Heresy/Snot) Singer Tommy Vext was the victim of a brutal attack at his home in Brooklyn during an attempted robbery. Brutally beaten with a crowbar leaving severe injuries to his skull, abdomen and an open compound fracture to his left arm Tommy was rushed to the ER. With medical bills soaring above seventy five thousand dollars, his friends in the music scene banded together to help raise funds.


Enter Road Runner recording artists Mutiny Within. "We heard that God Forbid was doing a benefit concert for Tommy & when we found out why we immediately jumped on the bill," says Andrew Jacobs. A few months later, Andrew introduced Bill. After seeing him perform with the Angel Vivaldi Band, It became apparent that Angel & Bill were the missing pieces to this new musical effort."

The boys have now released a single titled "In The End", which will be featured on their Impermanence EP:



Now if that wasn't enough information for you, I managed to get in touch with vocalist Tommy for some more in depth information about VEXT...

Hey Tommy, much thanks once again for taking the time to sit down and hash this Q&A out with me.  What are you up to today?

Not much just hitting the gym, vocal lesson with Melissa Cross & then work. (I'm the general manager & investor at a bar in NYC called Billy Hurricanes.)

In order to understand the artist, we need to look at what the artist grew up on.  What roots of music did you grow up on that made you want to start singing?

Pretty standard stuff in the beginning.  I was in a cover band when I was 14 years old.  We did Pantera, Sepultura and Metallica covers. I was really into Down , Alice in Chains, Korn & Rage Against The Machine too.

At what age did you realize you wanted to do music as a profession?

Around 13-15.  My band & I had fake ids so we could play CBGBs, lions den & the continental in NYC. I really loved performing, it was the only time I felt in my skin.

Any pregame rituals before a show and/or heading into the studio?

On tour I try to stay consistent in the gym about 2 hours a day b4 show time.  I also Zen of Screaming vocal exercises daily.

What vocal training and techniques have you received over the years?  I saw you in some of Melissa Cross' DVDs when personally using them for training myself.

I've been a student of Melissa Cross for almost 10 years now. I even taught her vocal technique in LA for a few years to almost a dozen students.  She is the best!

What's the Tommy secret to maintaining good vocals consistently each night?

Sleep, staying hydrated and vocal rest.  It probably helps that I live a healthy lifestyle.  I don't drink, do drugs or smoke.  I haven't in years now, it makes a big difference then previous.



Where did the inspiration come for lyrics in your projects, whether it be SNOT/Divine Heresy or VEXT.  Do they come from personal experiences?  World issues?  Politics?

In Snot I was singing mostly Lynn's lyrics. He was a great lyricist and touched on all those aforementioned subjects.

Divine Heresy was a very dark period of my life. It was definitely a forceful expression of resentment, discontent and frustration with things I previewed as flaws in humanity, religion and society.  I also touched on my own struggle with addiction and issues that came with growing up in a violent alcoholic home. 

This new Vext record is kind of a full departure from negativity. The new message for me is HOPE.

What kind of mics are you using while recording versus on tour?  Any specific reason why?

Well studio mics are different then live.  For tracking records I actually leave it up to the producers. They all have different opinions on which sounds better in there booth, so I usually trust them.

As for live Shure all the way.  I prefer beta 58 hand held wireless system but SM58 works just as well. 
I've tried Sennheiser wireless systems which do sound amazing for clean vocals but I sweat like a monsoon and the capsules get soaked and stop working by the 3rd show.

Have you ever been at a show/played a show where your music and sound was vastly different from the other bands on the bill?  If so, What was the crowd reaction and how easy did you feel playing on that stage versus stages shared with similar genre bands?

I think the only time it was that drastic was Soundwave Festival in Australia. I was in Divine Heresy & we played the "metal stage" but I got to hang with guys in Incubus , Offspring, Thursday , Mindless Self Indulgence & an army of other non metal groups.  It was eclectic and awesome.  Best year of my life thus far. 

Whether in session work or in a band, what words of wisdom can you give to inspiring vocalists?

Find your voice...be your own vocalist.

In the beginning we all emulate our heroes but by the time you make a record you should aspire to not sound like every other vocalist out there.  You'll be selling yourself short. Whether you can scream, growl, yell, sing or all of the above, make it your own.


How did you guys come together to form VEXT?  It's been a project of yours for quite some time now right?

Vext was a hardcore band I was in during HS. That's how I got the name.  After writing/jamming with AJ, Bill & Angel we needed a name. Everything we came up with was taken.  AJ suggested we just resurrect the name and it was unanimous.



What roles do you take over for in VEXT other than vocals?  Help with P&R?  Tour scheduling?  Recording or production?

I was handling management stuff mostly, setting up shows, video shoots, etc.  Angel does online promotion & artwork.  AJ  is a brilliant young engineer who actually tracked our record himself at home. We borrowed some vocal mics from Treehouse studios in Jersey city from our buddy (Wes) and AJ made it sound great!   Chris Clancey (ex Mutiny Within) mixed it overinflated the UK.

How did you come together with Morgan Phillips for the album artwork?

Morgan & Angel have a longstanding relationship with the Angel Vivaldi projects.

Hows the process of the EP coming along?  Have you been toying around with a release date yet?

Impermanence is already mixed and mastered.  Officially June 19th we will independently release to iTunes.  June 12th we will have pressed copies at our record release party at Sullivan Hall in NYC.  Mistress Juliya will be hosting the party! 

Is thre a central theme behind the lyrics and the vibe of the EP or does each song tell a different story?

It's kind of a diary of sorts. 

"In the End" I wrote recovering from surgery after I was beaten during a home robbery.


"Hourglass" is about my father's battle with alcoholism & diagnosis of prostate cancer


"Exit Wounds" & "Crush" are about sexual relationships with multiple damaged women. 


"Honorable Discharge" is about a secretly gay couple in the military.  One man died as a casualty of war as the learns deal with survivors guilt, & pick up the pieces all while preserving his honor in secrecy.
     

How are the music videos coming along?  Are they nearing completion?  Can you give any details to the music videos (Who's directing them, where are they shot, what the perception/story is behind the videos)

"Crush" & "In the End" were directed by Stephen Steelman who is based out of LA.  Crush was shot at a famous NYC restaurant called Beauty & Essex.  The owner is celebrity chef Chris Santos from The Food Network's "Chopped".
He's a huge metal head & actually is a great drummer.  We've been friends for a few years and he helped us get the spot. 

"In the End" was shot at Brooklyn's Notorious Gleason's Gym and featured undefeated female boxing champ  Heather Hardy whom I actually grew up with. 

What's the label situation lookin like for VEXT right now.

We are currently doing the indie thing.  If the right deal/label/situation comes along then we will take it from there.

What's the next move for VEXT after the EP release?  Touring?

We will be performing regionally all summer (Penn, NJ, NY, Mass & CT).  For a full list of your dates check out our tour dates via Facebook.

Favourite city/venue you played in thus far and why?

OMG...so many!  Depends on the country & the tour. I would say the Soundwave festival in Australia was a highlight. Or opening for Korn , Disturbed & Sevendust on the 'Music as a Weapon Tour' in 2011. Or Canadian tour with Chaimaira & Kataklysm in '08.  So many places it's hard to remember a specific one. I just love to jam!



And now for some fun, random questions that every musician likes to answer:

If you could have a single guest member on an upcoming album, who would it be and why?

Bjork - I just saw her in March at Roseland. She so abstract I think it would be a cool duet.

Small world, I myself was looking for tickets for that show when I was in NYC in Feb/March.

If you had one band/musician you would be honored to share the stage with, who and why?

I've shared the stage with almost everyone I've ever looked up to except of course PANTERA. I've been going to see that band since 95' when I was prob 13-14. Like so many others They are the reason I got into music.  I know it could never happen but that's a dream of mine since I was a child.

Covers are always fun to do when your jammin out in the studio or spur of the moment live, any songs in particular you like to play and have fun with or is it all original material?

The Beatles - Come Together

Favourite band/album of 2012 so far?

Ummm...hmmm, I'd say the new God Forbid record (Equilibrium) , it's pretty amazing!

Anything else you want to add for our readers?

Courage is not the absence of fear; but rather the judgement that something else is more important.

I want to thank Tommy once again for such a kick ass interview and a great insight to his new project.  For more info on these guys and their onoing work, check out the following links:

www.facebook.com/vextband
www.twitter.com/vextband
www.youtube.com/vextband

***

No comments:

Post a Comment