Friday, May 25, 2012

Step Aside Cameron, A New Avatar Is In Town!


OK, well I admit these guys have made their mark in the European scene for quite some time now (been running since 2001).  Only recently has Avatar been able to break into the North American Market with the release of their latest album "Black Waltz", which was released on February 14th, 2012 via eOne Music.



1. Let Us Die
2. Torn Apart
3. Ready For The Ride
4. In Napalm
5. Black Waltz
6. Blod
7. Let It Burn
8. One Touch
9. Paint Me Red
10. Smells Like A Freakshow
11. Use Your Tongue

The band has released a fair amount of material since their inception and I am glad to see the progression of shock rock meets straight up Swedish death metal feel.  Is it just me or does someone see influences of circus meets 'The Crow'?  Either way, like it, love it, gonna crank the tunes.


Check out their discography and music videos below (music videos taken from "The Black Waltz)".

2003 - Personal Observations (Demo)
2004 - 4 Reasons to Die (EP)
2006 - Thoughts of No Tomorrow (LP)
2007 - Schlacht (LP)
2009 - Avatar (LP)
2011 - Black Waltz (EP)
2012 - Black Waltz (LP)


('Black Waltz' featuring world famous circus side show of Hellzapoppin)


('Torn Apart')

"My dad was a big fan of The Beatles and The Kinks, and my mom was really into classical music, so that was the kind of music I heard when I was really young. When I was really little, it was the heyday of Michael Jackson and the 'Dangerous' album, and I loved that.

I guess the big turning point, for me, was when my older brother turned me onto heavy metal when I was 12. My teenage years were mostly about hard rock and metal, but I've always been open-minded." -Johannes Eckerström

AVATAR is:

Johannes Eckerström - Vocals | John Alfredsson - Drums | Jonas Jarlsby - Guitars
Simon Andersson - Guitars | Henrik Sandelin - Bass


For folks who are diggin these guys and want more, check out the scenes in behind the making of "The Black Waltz".  All in all, it sounds like a great Gothenburg metal band and has some great visuals to go with it.  I hope to see these guys round Canada soon!



And I just couldn't resist putting some live material of them online, for those who are unsure of the live performance versus the albums.  This was taken from the Brewhouse in Gothenburg, Sweden on November 26th, 2009:

No comments:

Post a Comment