Friday, September 19, 2014

New Music Discoveries: Michael Franti & Spearheard

Since it's a Friday and I have been on vacation since last week, I thought to share some music introductions I had rather than trying to play catch up with music releases, new videos, and news that has passed over my head since last Thursday.

So it was a manly kind of weekend where the beards were in full tilt, outdoor survival tools became essential, and of course a mini speaker pumping out some great tunes when making camp.  I will be the first to admit that most people take the back country camping adventure as a means to escape urban life and the noise that comes along with it.  I use it as an opportunity to listen to my music in both a different atmosphere and without any stresses or anxiety creeping up the back of my mind.

It's a typical playlist for out in the woods.  Crack a beer (if you have enough stamina to carry it with you to camp), bust out the organic food we've been saving for our first night in the woods and throw on some relaxo tunage.  Seems like a good picture if you can imagine the sunset and stars coming out.  A few people (including myself) brought a variety of tunes to go along with the trip.  As I listen to a plethora of music (which can be a bit obscure at times), I could see that people were not feeling my angry saxophone jazz vibe of Trioscapes or the (somewhat) over killed spinning of The Sheepdogs so I thought 'stop playing DJ and see what everyone else wants to hear'.  Especially in music, it's good to remember the rule of 'two ears, one mouth'.

One of my camping buddies (thanks Jeff!) brought a great selection of tunes that were perfect for warm campfires in cold evenings.  One of the artists I took a liking to was Michael Franti & Spearhead.  I am not sure what particualr album he was playing at the time (either 1997's "Chocolate Supa Highway" or 2001's "Stay Human") but the mellow laid back tunes made it easy to enjoy with a cup of coffee/tea.  The music had a fine blend of funk, folk, rock, jazz, rap, reggae, and practically anything else you could throw in the mix.  I'll admit that his older material I was introduced to had some political meanings behind them (and very much had the hip-hop sound to it), but the transition into who he is now is very admirable.  See video below for clarification...



Feeling like a noob at this point, I had no idea that Franti's catalog spanned well over 25+ years of making music with 11 studio albums (both solo and with Spearhead).  As I have not dove into his work too much yet, I was very impressed with the older material I heard on my camping trip, as well as the newer tunes like in these music videos.  Nothing specific came to mind of why this artist resonated with me.  Sometimes that gut feeling kicks in and when the music starts making the neck groove, you just go with it.



So there is my weekend recommendation.  Check out Michael Franti (& Spearheard) if you're looking for that cup of java on the weekend morning or to get your workday jump started in the right direction.  Cheers and be sure to give us your new music discoveries as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment