Monday, November 17, 2014

Slash Turns Down Gift From U2...Makes Every Rock Website's News Feed

So this gets major coverage?  An Irish band who shows the pride of their country gets the chop after sending a pack of Guinness to Slash who was playing at 3Arena in Dublin.

While I am hoping this is a reminder for future PR to do their homework, I don't really see the controversy here.  Like most rock and roll fans, we go to shows and drink beer.  Chances are that Slash gets offered a drink at most of his concerts.  I know I would be doing so if I ever bumped shoulders with a legend such as him.

After knowing that he is a recovering alcoholic, I can understand a simple "I am sorry, I did not know."  It's not like I am doing my research in advance for each musician I meet whether or not they are recovering AA, drug use, or even straight edge like some of the bands in the scene preach.  And I am sure the feeling is mutual when a band such as U2 asks a  PR guy to drop off a gift to a fellow rocker while playing a gig in their home country.

All in all, I said Slash handled it with some good tact and politeness via Twitter:

"Many thanks to @U2 for the 'Welcome to Dublin' case of Guinness! The only thing I miss about being sober."

If you get the chance to read most of the news agencies reporting this, there seems to be common ground as to why this was news.  I guess if you are looking to fuel a fire of hate for U2 then it's an easy target.  Either that or trying to make news out of miscommunication.  Cue the "what ifs".  But I got to say the BEST comment on Twitter was:

"@Slash @U2 if you have an i phone you're probably use to getting unwanted gifts from them." -tom murphy

Now that was a good joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment