Thursday, December 11, 2014

POD - SoCal Sessions

This has got to be one of the best crowd funded albums I have heard hitting the internet thus far.  While I understand there are sooooo many decent albums that have been crowd funded over the years, I have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated this album.  Not only has POD been a major influence on me over the years, the fact they were able to take old hit singles and morph them into completely different vibes has got me ecstatic!



"I think it actually just started out as something fun. We were jamming like this 22 years ago just for fun, doing covers of War and Santana and Band of Gypsies just for fun and obviously get on the road and radio stations to do things differently with sessions. So you kind of go through your catalog of songs that you could do acoustically and there is a handful of songs that we were doing that were fun so we wanted to get something out there for fun." -Sandoval



This is a usual avenue that bands tend to take as they grow and develop.  You will tend to see acts on the road for 10+ years do three things; a live album, a greatest hits, and an acoustic.  Since POD accomplished the live (Rhapsody Originals, 2008) and greatest hits (Greatest Hits: The Atlantic Years, 2006), it was only a matter of time before the trinity unfolded. haha

The album has a fine blend of everything that I can see as SoCal from an outside perspective.  Certain songs such as "Higher" and "It Can't Rain Everyday" not only give you that extra step in your stride on a bummer day, but they can also transport your visually to a place on a California beach where you would be listening to this with a drink in hand.  Either that or jamming a tune just like this over an open fire overlooking to ocean.

I think that's why this album appealed to me so much.  It's a much different feeling than what we are experiencing on a cold December day here in Toronto.  We are not getting that sunshine, beaches, or warm vibes.  So if I can't afford to go travelling to these places, I will mentally transport myself dammit!



I think another reason why this album (and others from POD) have appealed to me in the past.  The lyrical content is not something to be ignored.  The group obviously has religious ties to their music that some people (like myself) do not have that same relationship.  However, the music speaks to me louder than the religious connotations behind it.  Sandoval has a way with words to say the least.  Some songs such as "Beautiful" and "Youth of a Nation" tell a story.  They are stories you hear and try to empathize with.  I think that's one of the main reasons that POD has continued in my playlist and many others.

"Last day of the rest of my life
I wish I would've known
Cause I didn't kiss my mama goodbye

I didn't tell her that I loved her and how much I care
Or thank my pops for all the talks
And all the wisdom he shared."



So will this be one of your top albums of the year?  Maybe, maybe not.  All I know is that this album has been on my phone since it's release day and I have no foreseeable plans to be removing it from my playlist.  It's my "go to" album in the morning and also my after work relaxation.  Now, time to start my own Socal session here at the office.

"SoCal Sessions" was released on November 17th, 2014 via T-Boy Records/Universal Music Enterprises.


1. Panic 'n Run
2. Will You
3. Youth of a Nation
4. No Ordinary Love Song
5. Strength of My Life
6. Alive
7. Higher
8. It Can't Rain Every Day
9. Lost in Forever
10. I'll Be Ready
11. Beautiful
12. Set Your Eyes to Zion

"We didn’t do a million takes, normally when you do a studio record it’s like you do a million takes, then you dissect it and find the best one. Doubles of this, triples of that, this was just dude – set up a mic. I think I even sang with Louis, he’s our backup. We even sang together as far as harmonies. You punch in a few things here and there but it was very natural and I think that comes across as a very warm sounding album." -Sandoval

No comments:

Post a Comment