Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Songs of Anarchy: Volume I

So this morning I opted for something a little more mellow as I usually do on my morning bus rides in.  Like I've stated before, there is a time and place for everything.  Most of my heavy metal mornings consist of a TGIF moment or a day that breaks from my norm.  This however was my normal routine type day and as usual I'm 1/2 asleep when riding the TTC.  So I digressed...

Today's choice was "Songs of Anarchy: Music from Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1–4".  While being a big fan of the show (and yes, I understand as a consumer that this not what a real biker gang looks and acts like), I never fully appreciated the music that goes along with it.  I think it was my own omission though as I focused on plot development rather than other variables like music.  So I finally had the chance to throw this album on y playlist this morning and was very surprised with the outcome.

Not only do you get the classic introduction music of the show (created and performed by Curtis Stigers) called "This Life".  If you don't believe me, then take comfort in knowing that his theme song was Emmy nominated and ASCAP award winning.  And funny enough, Curtis is known for his jazz and saxophone work.  Who would have thought?!



What happened to be my favourite selection in the album was the few tracks to follow.  Katey Sagal is also quite the vocalist and is featured a few times in the series (makes sense since her husband Kurt Sutter is the creator of the show).  Songs like "Son of a Preacher Man" and "Bird on the Wire" make for some spectacular add-ons, while other tracks like "Forever Young" (Audra Mae and the Forest Rangers) and "Fortunate Son" (Lyle Workman and the Forest Rangers) gave me a permanent smile the way down.  Hell, "Forever Young" even gave the energy to pick up my acoustic when I get home and give it a shot.

"Featuring music from the first four seasons of the FX original series Sons of Anarchy, this album pulls some of the best music composed for the show into one collection. Including the show’s theme, “This Life,” as well as country-fried covers of “Gimme Shelter” and “House of the Rising Son,” the soundtrack captures the gritty vibe of the show, which follows the exploits of a rough-and-tumble motorcycle club in Northern California. Fans of the show will especially want to check out the covers of “Bird on a Wire” and “Son of a Preacher Man,” which feature cast member Katey Sagal on vocals. Definitely a great collection of tunes for your next journey on the open road." -All Music

Quick side note.  Shout out to Canadian metal band Anvil for picking up a track on the album.  Nice to see any extra Canadian exposure in music!  So here is the track listing of the album.  It was released on November 29th, 2011 via Columbia Records.

(Photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

1. This Life
2. Son Of A Preacher Man
3. Forever Young
4. John The Revelator
5. Fortunate Son
6. Slip Kid
7. Girl From The North Country
8. Someday Never Comes
9. Gimme Shelter
10. Bird On A Wire
11. Hey Hey, My My
12. What A Wonderful World
13. Los Tiempos Van Cambiando (The Times They Are A-Changin')
14. Strange Fruit
15. House Of The Rising Sun

So if you feel inclined to check out the album, I highly recommend it for a morning where you've got an hour or so to kill.  There are tons of great artists (like Anvil, Franky Perez of Scars on Broadway, Lions, Alison Mosshart of The Kills/The Dead Weather) contributing to the cause and hopefully will gear you up for Volume II...which will be next on my list.

Another side note, in case anyone was overly impressed with the album, The Forest Rangers (aka the band behind the SoA music) have an album in the works and crowdfunded throughout the fall and winter of 2014.  You can still pre-order the album through their crowdfunding site.

No comments:

Post a Comment