Thursday, October 25, 2012

Love & Death: Between Here & Lost

So, I'm sure you all remember Brian "Head" Welch?  The former guitarist of Korn till his departure in '05 due to drug addiction and constant touring.  Well, long story short is he found God, kicked the bad habits and kept his music life alive.  Being that Korn had moved on and started going down the path of totality (haha), he decided that he wanted to take music into his own hands, which would come in the form of the project (simply titled) "Head".

"I knew it was going to be nothing near as big as Korn, but I was proud of it. It's got some heavy riffs and it's got a lot more emotion than I've ever put in music. I'm an emotional guy (and) it was cool to be able to put it in there. It was cool how people were surprised by it. A lot of people thought I was gonna come out with some 'Kumbaya,' Jesus music." -Welch


1. L.O.V.E.
2. Flush
3. Loyalty
4. Re-Bel
5. Home
6. Save Me from Myself
7. Die Religion Die
8. Adonai
9. Money
10. Shake
11. Washed by Blood

The music video for the album "Flush", got quite the flack for its depictions and even had retailers pulling the album off shelves.  Of course, Brian wanted to shed some light on why he chose the music video to go in this direction...



"The video for 'Flush' is about crystal meth addiction and the crazy things anyone addicted to meth will do while they're high or to get their fix. Everything the models were doing in the video is what I was wrapped up in while I was addicted to meth. The video is a very realistic look at the addiction and where it will lead you if you get hooked. I understand the images of the models may be too much for some people, but honestly, I was just trying to be real with what happened in my life and show where I was, as well as where I am at now. I was totally imprisoned by meth ... I would do anything to get my meth ... I believe I would be dead right now if I continued using meth, but instead, I chose to surrender my life to Christ and die to myself so He could share His resurrection with me ... Significantly, the images also go along with what the kids (not actors) at the beginning of the video were honestly saying about their addictions."

Eventually, Welch ultimately decided to change the name of the project to "Love & Death", with explanations on why he chose the name...

"the name 'Love and Death' symbolizes everything we've been through as a band over the last few years. We love this band so much and we'll go through hell to connect with our fans. Many people have confused my speaking dates and our band dates because they were both being booked as Brian Head Welch. I have wanted to use a band name for branding my music for a few years. Now with the new music coming out, its [sic] time to really separate the things I do. I want the music to be about music. I will still be doing public speaking under Brian Head Welch. I am happy that all the confusion will be over."

Welch took to the online world to recruit his members for L&D back in '09.  He elaborates further when he “picked the guys and then had a jam session in Phoenix.  Over the last couple of years, there have been a few line up changes as we went through normal growing pains. The current band has been together and touring for a while now and they are a big part of the new music and the future of this new brand.”


OK, so Love & Death have been building a fan base (pushing 7,800 copies of "Save Me From Myself" and now totaling 23,000+ fans on Facebook) and continually pumping out new music.  Everything seemed to come one after the other when it came to announcements.  First, you had the re-branding of the band name, followed by the "Chemicals EP" (released on April 24th, 2012), followed by the ink deal with Tooth & Nail Records and finally, the debut full length album under the new band name.

(Photo courtesy Caleb Kuhl)

Love & Death currently consists of:

Brian 'Head' Welch – vocals, guitars | JR Bareis - lead guitar | Michael Valentine - bass guitar, backing vocals | Dan Johnson - drums



So, now were up to speed (and hoping I provided enough info for you).  The new album will be titled "Between Here & Lost" and will see a release date of January 22nd, 2013 via (newly inked) Tooth & Nail Records.



1. The Abandoning
2. Whip It (*Devo cover)
3. Watching The Bottom Fall
4. By The Way... 
5. Meltdown
6. My Disaster
7. I W8 4 U (featuring Mattie Montgomery of For Today)
8. Fading Away
9. Paralyzed
10. Chemicals
11. Bruises

"This record was birthed from trials, tribulations, pain, suffering, anxiety, depression, and drama.  However, we came out on top and the end result is a very real, raw & honest record. We are so stoked for people to hear it! From our opening song 'The Abandoning', to our cover of Devo's 'Whip it', to our collaboration with Mattie Montgomery from For Today on 'I W8 4 U', It's an exciting piece of art and the listener will feel the different range of emotions with the lyrics & melodies of each song." -Welch


(Photo courtesy Caleb Kuhl)

In light of the new photos and album information, the band also released a new music video for the opening track "The Abandoning", which you can view below:



I ultimately decided to write about this project now rather than earlier only because the music has (little by little) started to get hooked in my head.  Social media has allowed Welch to essentially come out of hiding and make his projects known on a large scale.  I don't think he had the intention of leaving music all together.  As a fellow music enthusiast (and part time musician), I can understand where guys/gals come from when they step away from a project.  You never really get away from the music, its a love that will remain constant if you will.  Much respect to Welch for getting his shit in order and pumping out new music.



Anyways, now we got the jist of what is to come from the former Korn guitarist and his quest.  More information will be added as it comes in.  L&D are looking to greatly expand their touring ground as well, so be sure to keep an eye out for them in your area (either headline gigs or touring support).

No comments:

Post a Comment