Thursday, April 24, 2014

36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance

While this was a very important piece in my high school and college days, the overkill of listening to it wore out it's welcome.  Then again, the compact disc may have just been worn out...whatever came first I guess.  So the last few days I was playing with some licks on the guitar and forgot how much fun I had rocking out to tunes such as "Destroy The Map" and "Kenai".  The sophomore album from 36 Crazyfists was definitely something that couldn't be ignored.



Only a few friends listened to them and understood their style.  I think that was another reason I grew so attached to them.  The exclusivity of a band or album makes it much more enjoyable.  Not that there is anything wrong with mass production, but I'm sure we have all felt that way at some point when we hear new music that mainstream has not yet caught onto.  To this day, I only have a handful of friends who thoroughly enjoyed "A Snow Capped Romace" and other 36 Crazyfists' music as much as I do.



1. At the End of August
2. The Heart and the Shape
3. Bloodwork
4. Kenai
5. Skin and Atmosphere
6. Song for the Fisherman
7. With Nothing Underneath
8. Destroy the Map
9. Installing the Catheter
10. Cure Eclipse
11. Waterhaul

Japanese/iTunes bonus tracks:
12. Workhorse (Cast Iron Hike cover)
13. Sad Lisa (Cat Stevens cover)

A Snow Capped Romance was released on March 16th, 2004 via Roadrunner Records.  It was produced by James Paul Wisner (Stretch Armstrong, Underoath, Dashboard Confessional, etc.) and was mixed/mastered by legendary Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Caliban, As I Lay Dying, Soulfly, Trivium, Nevermore, etc.).

"Opener "At The End Of August" is somewhat more in the vein of previous material, yet crackles with power, while the crisp, frantic "Heart And The Shape" sets the table for "Bloodwork", which is probably one of the most memorable emo-metal tunes to come down the pike in a while." -Blabbermouth

There are way too many memories in my life where this album has circulated.  I was playing in a band with four members which made the connection a little more admirable.  Brock's vocals were very unique as well (and still are).  While it made it challenging to try and jam tunes of theirs in my own band practices, it was still the most fun singing along to songs that I just listened to 10x that day. A fine blend of melody, dance, thrash, and breakdowns.  Numerous times I would also jump on the mic for my buddy's band VENT as they rocked out "The Heart And Shape".

It seems that a fair amount of activities I did included a soundtrack, which was usually 36 Crazyfists or other artists like them.  Even in my high school days when doing extracurricular activities such as track & field had it moments.  Fellow competitor and class mate Josh would make it a point to crank this album as loud as we could during training.  It was that extra 'umph' you needed before tossing the shot, discus, javelin, etc.



Expansion from such a singular dimension is natural, even imperative for a follow-up effort; thankfully, these kindler, gentler Fists don't forget how to clench. At first, it doesn't look good.  A Snow Capped Romance occasionally stumbles on the loose gravel of conventionalism, but it always regains its footing on the rock. -All Music

I still grab a guitar the odd time and thrash out to some tunes like "Bloodwork" and "At The End of August", as those two seem to be the only ones I can remember (and even that is a stretch).  Maybe its about time I jumped onto a few other tunes of theirs and give em a go.  So if this is your first time hearing these guys, I am humbled you came here to read about em.

The songs that AFGM recommends for best showcase of this album would have to be:

"At The End of August" | "Bloodwork"
"With Nothing Underneath" |  "Destroy The Map"

No comments:

Post a Comment