Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gym Music IV - Mosh Pit Workouts

So hopefully by now I have either:

1. Got you into some new bands for your regular workout routines
2. Got you to go to the gym in general!

Not everyone has to be a vein popping, over-muscled rock like you see in those supplement stores or magazines.  However, I do encourage people to get active and find ways throughout your day to keep your cardio up and your blood pumping.  I am not sure about the rest of you (*plug for comments here*) but I NEED something to listen to in the gym that suits my needs and intensity level.


Ever thought about where you can combine your love of music and also get some sort of workout?  I'm sure you can think of plenty of places to do so.  Ever thought to do the mosh pit workout routine?  Some people (and some professionals as well) would advise to get into a real gym and do some serious working out before stepping foot into a mosh pit at your local rock/metal show.  I see lots of health benefits (as well as risks) involved with gaining stamina while getting bashed around by potentially 100 other sweaty guys and gals.  I look at mosh pits the same way others would look at wrestling, MMA, or even swimming.  You entire body is using it's energy to repel hits and slams from other people and potentially an entire group (if you are caught in a 'wave').  Here are a few small tips I like to do before trying to get in my next moshing workout:

1. Know the band you are watching.

I doubt people will be enthusiastic about you starting up a mosh pit during a Mumford & Sons concert.  But at the same time, I think you could fit right in with some of the bands that I have listed below.  The band performing has a significant impact on the crowd reaction to them.  See what the setlist is going to be like, gauge the genre and maybe consider yourself an onlooker for the first song or two to see how the show is going to go down.

2. Know the audience.

Even when you think it's a good idea to start moshing around, the people around you can have a different idea of fun than you.  I will use my first Rammstein concert as an example.  I drove 10+ hours to Quebec city a few years ago to see my all time favourite band perform.  This was my first time seeing them as well as the people I was with.  I WAS PUMPED!

So what happened?  Everything went according to plan.  The bands came on (Apocalyptica, then Rammstein) and did one hell of a performance in front of 120,000+ onlookers.  To my surprise, nobody did any moving whatsoever.  A few heads were banging up and down but absolutely NO MOVEMENT from people even at a mere 50 feet away from the stage.  As I even tried to sneak through people to hopefully find some sort of pit, I was given nothing but dirty looks and people that refused to budge.

A reserve situation happened when I saw Seether years ago in London, ON.  Never did I think I would be caught in a mosh pit at a hard rock concert like this.  Still to this date I tell people it was one of the few concerts where I fell down and could not get back up.  Every time I attempted to, I was run over by other moshers or getting to odd appendage.  These two shows were great examples of how the audience and not necessarily the band can play an influence.

3. Know your limits.

If you are newby when it comes to a mosh pit, chances are you won't survive an entire evening of moshing.  As much fun as moshing looks it can get very tiring very fast.  I remember literally wringing the sweat out of my shirt following a Killswitch Engage/Dragonforce concert at the Kool Haus because it felt like 1 vs. 100 people out there.  Your muscles can get tired very fast so it's always good to take a break during a slow song or a tune you may not necessarily have on the top of your priority list.

Some great exercises may be (but not limited to) crowd surfing assistance, the push back from the 'wave', helping others get back on their feet, and trying to get to the front row.  If you need a lesson in any of these exercises then feel free to pass me a private message for a breakdown.  No pun intended. ;-)


While doing a little background research to see if anyone out there has come up with a formula for mosh pit working, I found a WikiHow page that outlines some do's and do not's when it comes to moshing.  Another great source of info for those looking to get some carido with their show:

"How to Mosh in a Mosh Pit"

Falling - Lift that person and make sure they are not hurt. They will probably just laugh and thank you before joining back in or stepping out if they are hurt. This could possibly be the most important rule of all, you must pick up a falling mosher at all times.

Copping a feel - It's wrong. Don't do it. Every female mosher isn't a groupie and if she doesn't get revenge on you, the guy beside you will get it. Not only is it wrong, it's very disturbing to a girl. But, it does happen, and if it does, call out whoever did it. More respectful moshers will usually push him away, or get between you and him.

Hitting - It's not a fight! If you hurt someone it is etiquette to maybe shake their hand or clap their shoulder. Do a friendly gesture and apologize (flashing the 'horns' and mouthing an apology over the music works). Also bear in mind that if you start a fight, you will be surrounded and greatly outnumbered.

The Pull out - When you're standing around an extremely violent/large pit watching the action and you see someone trying unsuccessfully to get out of the pit, if you think you can handle the pit, go and get them. It's always appreciated.

The Lift Up - If someone is hurt but no one will move to let them out of the crowd (which is common at larger festival pit and crowds), ask the people around you to lift the person up and body surf them to the front so security can help them out. Make sure to ask if it's okay first though as getting lifted freaks some people out at first.

Don't Be The Jerk - People on the sidelines are on the sidelines for a reason...They Don't want to mosh right now. Of course some will very soon others don't. Don't force anyone to mosh by grabbing them and throwing them in to the pit if they really don't want to. Sometimes this is a great way to start a pit but if a pit is already going and someones on the sideline don't force it. Also if they are holding a fist out in front of them they don't even want to be touched.

***

Alright, so now that I have said my piece on a great source for staying in shape (hopefully), here are some of the artists and recommendations that I have had on my playlist as of late:


1) Bury Tomorrow - Union of Crowns

Recommended track: "Royal Blood"




2) Unearth - Darkness In The Light

Recommended track: "Watch It Burn"




3) Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine

Recommended track: "Shuriken"




4) Atreyu - Covers of the Damned

Recommended track: "Holiday In Cambodia" (Dead Kennedys cover)




5) Threat Signal - Threat Signal

Recommended track: "Comatose"




6) The Browning - Hypernova

Recommended track: "Gravedigger"




6) We Came As Romans - Understanding What We've Grown To Be

Recommended track: "Mis//Understanding"



Hope you enjoy and be sure to drop your own thoughts/comments/questions about gym music and what gets you going while pumping the iron!


1 comment:

  1. great mosh-pit tips for sure, but I would also suggest to be on guard for any psycho ‘bouncer-wanna-be’ bartenders…if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete