Wednesday, August 14, 2013

One Day As A Lion

An EP that would stick with me in my head for years and years...

As Audioslave was working their third album and I started to grow tired of the lackluster "Revelations", I was quite happy to hear the rumors of a new Zach de la Rocha...with Jon Theodore from The Mars Volta!  A duo both from notable previous projects, I was ecstatic to stumble upon the album in '08 in a random HMV store; I believe it was the superstore at Yonge & Dundas.  $8.99 for five new tracks from a musician I grew up listening too wasn't a bad deal.  Hell, I'll just come out and day that Zach is probably one of the most influential lyricist of our generation so I was happy to hand over my $ for this.

The name taken from the infamous 1970 black and white, captured by legendary Chicano photographer George Rodriguez featuring a center framed tag on a white wall in an unspecified section of Boyle Heights. It reads: ‘It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.’ This record is a stripped down attempt to realize this sentiment in sound.

Not the usual distortion and screaming that I am used to when it comes to the likes of Rage Against The Machine, but more focused on the lyrical content of Rocha and the drum work of Theodore.  It was something that took me by surprise, but eventually grew to understanding and liking the different POV.

Muhammad and Christ would life
Would lay your body down
To a tune so wild international



In the desert full of bullets
Let your body rot
With my chrome with my verse
With my body rock


1. Wild International
2. Ocean View
3. Last Letter
4. If You Fear Dying
5. One Day as a Lion

The album was officially released on July 22nd, 2008 (US/Canada) via ANTI- (sister label of Epitaph Records).  The album was done pretty much done by the members themselves and was mixed by Brazilian producer Mario C.  Mario has worked with some notable artists in the past such as The Beastie Boys, Beck, and Jack Johnson.

The group hasn't really done much in terms of writing and touring after the release of the EP, but there's always a sign of hope.  Even though it is fan filmed footage, I really enjoyed their live performance at 2001's Coachella.  No recommended tracks since this is an amazing EP.  I just invite you to listen to all 20 minutes of the album and request them to play in a town near you!



"One Day As a Lion opens their set at Coachella with the song If You Fear Dying. Instantly a mosh pit forms and its on! Must watch video for all Rage Against the Machine and Zach de la Rocha fans. First Song and Intro: One Day As a Lion at Coachella 2011." -Dante Concerts

1 comment: