Friday, August 9, 2013

40 Below Summer -The Mourning After

Flashback Friday!  Coming home from a day at the day job I found myself in my studio looking for something to put a smile on my face.  Sifting through my music collection I stumbled upon one of my favourite bands from the millennium era 40 Below Summer.  Making a splash from the get go with me, I was instantly hooked on their 2011 release "Invitation To Dance".  How I came to listening to these guys is still a little blurry for me.  More than likely finding a song of their on the Galaxy Radio channels or Much Loud (you all remember those?!)

Anyways, back on track.  Making a significant impact on "Invitation To Dance" (released by Brian "Head" Welch's Driven Music Group), I was quite ecstatic to see their new album roll through my record store (aka my former job) in 2003.  "The Mourning After" was no different upon throwing it into the CD player.



Cloud your vision
And just medicate yourself and just separate yourself
And just medicate yourself and you'll never change yourself

Even though you can clearly hear the nu-metal/rap rock influence in these songs, it still (I find) tends to hold up against the barrage of new music we constantly see and hear on a weekly basis.  Never have I thought of myself as a person who would get caught up in one era of music but damn if this wasn't one of my top nu-metal performances in my high school/college days.

During the era of "The Mourning After", 40BS lineup consisted of:

Max Illidge – Vocals | Joey D'Amico – Guitar | Jordan Plingos – Guitar
Hector Graziani – Bass | Carlos Aguilar – Drums

"The Mourning After" was released on October 28, 2003 via Razor & Tie Records.  This marked the first release of newly inked label Razor & Tie and unfortunately it would be the only release as they were only on roster for the one album.



1. Self Medicate
2. Taxi Cab Confession
3. Rain
4. Breathless
5. Better Life
6. Monday Song
7. F.E. (featuring Cristian Machado)
8. Awakening
9. Alienation
10. A Season In Hell
(*note that there are two hidden tracks at the end of "A Season In Hell")
11. Training Day (*Japanese Import)

TMA was produced by multi-platinum award winning producer David Bendeth, who's loooooong roster consists of bands such as Asking Alexandria, Breaking Benjamin, 12 Stones, Bring Me The Horizon, Pillar, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and many more!

Being that the track "Rain" is one of the highlights in my book for TMA, I have to agree with Sputnik Music's review incorporating Max's unique voice with both a great drum & bass pattern, but also the melody that all three compose.  A semi-perfect blend of harmony while at the same time not abandoning their rough around the edges breakdowns.

One of the highlights of the band is his one of a kind voice, not to be heard anywhere else in music with a somewhat nasal yet powerful style. When Max screams (which isn't very much on this record compared to Invitation to the Dance), he does a great job. "Rain" is one of the best tracks on the CD with a complex drum rythym and a bassline audible throughout the song. -Sputnik Music



I can feel your pain, If you let me I'll save your soul
I'll take you away if you're with me
I'll make you whole amen
Now can I get an amen

Funny moment I read while doing this article.  Apparently the music video for "Self Medicate" was almost a one hit wonder in itself.  The video had quite the regular rotation on MTV2's Headbanger's Ball while promoting the album.  The video was even voted #18 of MTV2's top videos of 2004.  Side note (and trying not to go off on a tangent) but WTF happened to MTV?!

So trying not to get off topic too much, this was a solid album I gladly threw back on my playlist and started tuning my guitar to play along.  Even 10 years later, well played 40BS...well played.

AFGM recommended tracks are:

Self Medicate | Taxi Cab Confessions | Rain | Monday Song
F.E. | A Season In Hell

No comments:

Post a Comment