Thursday, August 15, 2013

Band turned DJ

Today is a small rant but I feel it was warranted.  I caught Ozzy on his "Down To Earth" tour in 2003 at the Air Canada Centre in almost the same section and row.  Needless to say I was blown away by the 3 hour performance so when heading to see Black Sabbath perform at the ACC, it was kind of a 10 year cycle flashback.  I have to say that last night's Black Sabbath concert was definitely a highlight of 2013.  So what is the rant you ask?

When Ozzy played in 2003, he brought with him some great opening acts...Voivod & Finger Eleven.  Both bands performed top notch and really gt the crowd warmed up for the Ozzman.  The bonus treat for that show too was Jason Newsted taking over bass duties for both Voivod and Ozzy's band.  This time around, I was equally excited to hear about Andrew WK not only opening the show, but would be playing an all classic rock set.  Makes sense right?

This is what we saw on stage (forgive the bad camerawork, this was the only video I could find online):



Needless to say once again, I was less than impressed.  Where's the band?!  I feel there was a big miscommunication as to what Andrew WK would be doing when he was on stage.  Even though he made attempts to yell at the crowd and get them warmed up, it was all for none.  One of my buddies made a comment that (I feel) resonated with most of the crowd:

"soooo when I went to see them in michigan like a week ago, Andrew WK sat on a podium that had a picture of his face and played his Ipod... I hope it's not the same for you."

Despite the disappointment I saw last night,  I will still continue to support Andrew WK and his work.  I am still waiting to see him actually perform with a full band and with any luck, he might pull a few of these cover songs out.

Rant done.

No comments:

Post a Comment