Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Action Bronson - The Symbol

Now I haven't dabbed too much into the hip-hop side of things.  Not being offensive or anything, I just don't find as many intriguing artists coming out of that genre.  Maybe it's the fact that pop and hip-hop tend to be the forefront of music you hear on the radio and see in the charts.  Regardless of my tastes and choices, there is always an exception to the stereotype.  And by stereotype, I simply mean the constant acknowledgement of 'bitches & hoes', 'YOLO', 'make money' and any other unoriginal lyrics that can be spewed out as fast as possible.  For example:

"Fuck that your little chain, you better tuck that
Uh, vultures flying over the carcass
Bitches blowing on my dick like a cartridge
Throw some grass up, aim a little east of the target"

Not that it's a horrible set of lyrics, but I honestly don't care about the 'bitches' blowing up your dick.  Anyone can get their dick 'blown up' if you pay the right price (haha).  Anyways, those lyrics were taken from a rap artist named Action Bronson, who happens to be someone I recently discovered and intrigued by.  Despite the lyrics I provided with you a fraction of his material; all of which is not consistent with the lyrics above.  Here's a guy who can play the fine line of speaking your mind while adapting to the trends of modern rap/hip-hop AND getting a heap of special guests on his tracks (such as Mac Miller, The Alchemist, ASAP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, etc).



"My brain was sculpted at Harvard
Never mention all the crime I been a part of
Serve like Ivan Lendl up in the rental
The cheese been assembled
They receiving health benefits and dental
The lamb was laced with fennel
Left hand then shift the right foot touched the pedal!"

The large and in charge rapper from Queens, NY is currently working on his debut label record from Atlantic/Vice records.  If you are ahead of the curve and already have a grasp of this guy, good stuff.  If you are like me and are a little late to the game, now is the time to take a listen and watch some of his comical music video(s).  I for one will be looking forward to it.  The guy seems to have a fresh take on the rap game and can show a little humility with regards to his image and career.  Nothing everything has to be about FBMM.  "The Symbol" is taken from AB's collaborate mixtape (along with The Alchemist) titled "Rare Chandeliers" and was released on November 15th, 2012 via Vice Records.

And just to add to that comedy, here's one of my favourite lines from AB on his track "Strictly For My Jeeps":

“Eat steaks off a gold plate, stoned, listening to Coldplay.”

No comments:

Post a Comment