Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wolves At The Gate - Back To School

Scanning through today's music releases and personally in the mood to spin the new Demon Hunter had me stumble upon an EP that lit up my eyes quite fast.  With a very impressive album "Captors" by Wolves At The Gate reasserted my faith (no pun intended for a Christian label) in the quality of metalcore that Solid State Records was producing.  "Captors" was released in 2012, and here we are in 2014.  Quite a bit of time had past and to my own admittance, I lose track of bands and new material they might be working on.  A blogger can only do so much right?

So anyways, back to my story.  Wolves At The Gate dropped an EP titled "Back To School" in the fall of 2013.  Either I missed the press release or there was little to no publicity for it.  I'll give Solid State Records the benefit of the doubt and assume I missed the press release.  What made "Back To School" so interesting for me was the choice of cover songs they selected for this EP.  Bands such as Thrice, Thursday, Receiving End of Sirens, and of course Blindside all scream tribute to bands that [chances are] influenced these guys to produce the music they do today.



I was very, very happy when I saw a Blindside cover, as they were an early love of mine during their "Silence" era.  WATG & Solid State released the EP online for streaming so I thought to post a few links here and see what you all thought of the covers.  Did they do justice or was it a flop?









With a titled like "Back To School", I was hoping for a Deftones cover.  Then again, that would just be a fun play on words more than the influence itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment