Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mutiny Within, Industry Embers and the Ongoing Piracy Battles...

OK, so I found my lil rant for the day.  I am very torn on this one too so I leave it to the rest of the readers here to give their opinion.  As you all know, I had the pleasure of conducting an interview with Mutiny Within vocalist Chris Clancy (who is also an independent sound engineer).  He had some great answers for my string of questions and even was kind enough to share exclusive info about their upcoming "Mutiny Within II" album release.

Check out the full interview here.

Since then I have obviously been following them closely with new information surfacing about album artwork, singles and now their new music video titled "Embers", which you can check out below:



You can show some love for the band and purchase the single through their Bandcamp profile.

Now here is the kicker where I am torn on.  The video circles around the concept of music pirating and the money bands lose as a direct result of this.  MUTINY WITHIN has even "partnered with Tommy Jones (the studio) in a brand new anti-piracy movement called Industry Embers. In a society where “downloading” music for free has become accepted and even the norm, people on the outside rarely are able to grasp the true effects of their stealing and how it trickles down to all the aspects of the entire music industry." -Metal Injection)

Love the band, mixed feelings on the movement.  I have a lot of respect for the band to continue what they do regardless of the lack of funding they have.  But I have also backed various legislation that has to do with online piracy and downloading.  My feelings seem to mimic some of the comments on the music video.  I do agree that labels are a way of the past and that they seem to fit the purpose when physical copies of albums needed to be distributed.  I do agree that there is 1000 times more artists that all are looking to be top contender, even a slight contender if you will.  I do agree that musicians, artists and online music sites need to find new ways to garnish some revenue.  I do agree that you should support bands and buy their albums, go to their shows and buy their merch.  Bands need fans as much as fans need bands.

There's no need to revisit the Metallica/Napster thing is there?

We've seen labels go to great lengths to protect their copyright laws and the funds that they take from the band's work, even if the bands themselves don't agree with the lawsuit:

AFGM: A Series of Unfortunate Downloads

We have also seen the hard line approach by lobbyists and government officials to harden copyright infringement

AFGM: SOPA (Similar to Bill C-11 in Canada)

I compare bands making stardom and a living the same way as if I was to try out for a major sports team or a game show...only a few selected and everyone else can just deal with it.  It sucks guys and I know it.  I myself am not getting paid a single cent right now for writing any of these articles.  This is a hobby (which hoping to turn into something more lucrative) that I just enjoy doing.  I guess not everyone is like me and has the ability to have a good full time job and able to do their hobbies on the side.

I guess I just look at the reality of the situation.  Rather than trying to fight something that has millions upon millions of people backing (internet downloading, free music, etc), I look for ways to make funds off of my hobbies.  Don't get me wrong, I feel for the musicians that desperately try and make their voices heard above others or don't get signed to a label after years or even decades of hard work and determination.  I like to think back 30-40 years or so when vinyl was still at an all time high.  What did society think then cassettes came on the market and people could record and re-record music from friends who bought albums and cassettes?  Did we call for legislation then?

Anyways, this wasn't a hate on article to burn bridges, take sides or whatnot.  This was compiling both sides of the argument so that people can form their own decisions about the state of the music industry and the way it is headed.  As always, support music at the end of the day.  Check out the videos, buy them albums, go to the shows and buy the merch.  It means a lot to the bands you care for so deeply about.

AFGM: First of the Fore

www.industryembers.org

www.facebook.com/IndustryEmbers

industryembers@gmail.com

If you would like to read some of my previous articles surrounding the issues currently being discussed, check out any of the following:

AFGM: The State of Music (A Billy Corgan Interview at SXSW)

AFGM:  Digital Piracy Didn't Kill Music

No comments:

Post a Comment