Tuesday, November 26, 2013

That Bluegrass Boy

So as you may or may not have noticed I was not my perky self on Monday and giving you all the good news of the music world.  Alas, I was a smart cookie this weekend and decided to old up camp in the frozen tip of Ontario (well, at least this weekend I thought it was considered the frozen tip) in the Bruce Peninsula National Park.  So while myself and two buddies were fighting the high winds and cold chill of Georgian Bay, I brought along (you guessed it) some tunes to help pass the time since everything was pitch black come 5pm.  The very first tune that came on the playlist was one that seemed to fit the situation the best... "Dust Bowl Children" by Alison Krauss and Union Station.



The most fitting song for the time, or at least in my head.  Sitting around a campfire, having a beer and trying to keep warm, the tune brought flashes of the film "Cold Mountain" to my head.  Being in the woods sometimes brings the country boy out in me.  Not that I am running to the local record shop to pick up a copy of Kenny Chesney's newest album before I head out into the woods, but my standard albums for a camping trip tend to fall more towards a laid back; something that co-insides perfectly with the crackle of that birch and pine wood.

(Photo courtesy of Andrew Gallagher Photography)

So back to my thoughts.  As I was sitting around the campfire and the tunes came on, the reason my logic went instantly to Cold Mountain had to be the setting we were in.  A snowy park, no sign of life other than some birds and a few critters, a campfire, and a pot of water boiling for food and coffee.  It reminded me of Jack White, Ethan Suplee, and Brendan Gleeson all sitting around their campfire up in the woods signing songs and playing their instruments to pass the time.  I honestly wish I had enough room to sling a guitar on my back to pluck away while battling the elements.



So with keeping the good vibes, the next tune coming on was another great bluegrass tune... "Wagon Wheel" from Old Crow Medicine show.  Thanks to my camping buddy Marc, we came prepared with a huge selection of OCMS and a few others such as Hey Rosetta, Bear's Den, and Mumford & Sons.  Between that and my selection of Alison Krauss, The Sheepdogs, and The Wildfeathers, we were set to go!

Mind you this isn't the first time I got the bluegrass bug while out camping.  The general vibe of a camping trip with friends surrounds this laid back twang.  While I feel heavy metal and rock are my core sounds, I doubt that blasting "Disciple" by Slayer is the right time and place out in the woods.  I'm not looking to burn the place down, just take in the scenery.  To me, that is my vision of bluegrass and the woods.



So the next time you find yourself out in the woods and looking for something to pass the time while staring at the constantly changing coals of the campfire, try throwing on a couple songs with some slide guitar and some banjo.  They make you embrace the worst of weather conditions seem jovial and upbeat.  Does anyone else care to drop a few good bands here that fall into this genre?

No comments:

Post a Comment