Thursday, November 14, 2013

Things I Miss: Stabilo - Happiness & Disaster

So this article stemmed from two different chains of thought.  The first one was my large picture POV for AFGM and what I was going to write for a Thursday.  Rather than just wingin' it like I tend to with my throwback articles and "Things I Miss".  But like most people who run a website, there has to be some consistency in the postings, which is why I am trying to make this more of a "Throwback Thursday" kind of idea.

The second chain of thought stemmed from a friend of mine (thanks Jesse!) who simply posted some lyrics on my wall:

"doesn't anybody know how to walk anymore? doesn't anybody know what a radio is for?!"

Well, that just started the snowball affect right there as I have been a long time fan of Canadian group Stabilo since I first heard their single "Everybody", which debuted on their 2004 EP/LP "Cupid".  Check out the music video below to get an idea for the music:



'Cause everybody wants, and everybody needs
Everybody asks for one more piece 
Everybody wants to hear someone say please

You were expecting something with some heavy distortion weren't you?  Mind you this wasn't something that I played on a Friday night shift when punching in my hours at the record store.  We decided to keep this more reserved for our hangover mornings and mellow Sunday vibes.  Kind of bummed me out that Stabilo called a hiatus back in 2011 as I found them to be one of Canada's most underrated bands.  Maybe speaking more out of personal bias than anything but you have to admit that the song writing is pretty decent, delivery is excellent, vocals compliment the music very well, and the lyrics resonate some good meaning and life lessons.



So for all intents and purposes, the four piece group from Maple Ridge, British Columbia are/were:

Jesse Dryfhout - Vocals/ Guitars/ Keys | Christopher John - Vocals/ Guitars/ Keys
Nathan Wylie - Drums | Karl Williaume - Bass

The first single, "Flawed Design", opened with the main focus on the strong vocal and guitar work from both Dryfhout and John.  Check it out below:



Yeah I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is all a part of my
Flawed design

So if I have kept your attention thus far, here is some details surrounding the album that really echoed to me. "Happiness & Disaster" was released on April 4th, 2006 via EMI Music Canada.  The album was produced by Rockford, Illinois based music producer Brad Wood.  Other notable artists that Wood has worked with are Placebo, Better Than Ezra, The Bangles, Pete Yorn, Say Anything, As Cities Burn, and Touché Amoré.


1. Don't Look In Their Eyes
2. Habit
3. Kidding Ourselves
4. Don't Be So Cold
5. Flawed Design
6. Delivering Idiots
7. Happiness & Disaster
8. Coffee Spills
9. Rain Awhile
10. Ordinary
11. Beautiful Madness
12. If It Was Up To Me
13. Everybody

Their two single from the debut full length album "Flawed Design" and "Everybody" have both been a regular piece to their live performances dating back to 2004, much earlier than the album itself.  Whether it be that they wanted their best songs featured on their full length or the fact they were just trying to reinvent the wheel over again, I was quite happy that they decided to include the full length album.  I feel it added to the structure of the album as a whole and paved the way for newer songs to receive equal notoriety, such as their second single "Kidding Ourselves".



So maybe something such as this article may get the ball rolling to get these guys back in the studio and hash out another full length album.  I know a few thousand Canadians that wouldn't be too upset if it happened.  Wishful thinking if anything.  AFGM recommended tracks from "Happiness & Disaster" would have to be:

Don't Look in Their Eyes | Everybody
Flawed Design | Don't Be So Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment