Friday, February 6, 2015

Punch Bros vs Funeral For A Friend

Maybe I am pulling at loose strings here but when I saw the album cover for Punch Brothers' "The Phosphorescent Blues" released last week, it gave me quick shot to the memory.  I was looking at it recalling a similar looking cover from approximately 12 years before that.  In 2003, Funeral For A Friend released their debut album titled "Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation" which depicted a man and woman facing opposite ways with their heads covered.

("The Phosphorescent Blues" was released on January 27th, 2015 via Nonesuch Records)


("Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation" was released on October 13th, 2003 via Atlantic, Mighty Atom, and Ferret Records)

I also understand that the musical difference between FFAF and PB is vast.  One plays bluegrass and classical, while the other plays mostly post-hardcore and emo based rock/metal.  Could they be in contrast with each other?  Could FFAF be depicting the struggles of a relationship shrouded in secrecy?  Could the PB be embracing the unknown in relationships?  Could both of them just be putting cloaks on their heads to look cool on the album cover?  Could I just be digging into something that's not there?

All I know is that I saw an album cover and instant gave me a reminder of an album 12 years prior to that.  Not sure if my spidey senses are off or others got the same vibe as well.  Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment