Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Random Music Quotes: Howorth

"Growing up, I had my favorite bands and followed them through all their ups and downs and different albums. I didn't always like everything they did and sometimes I even felt upset or slightly betrayed because a band did something I didn't like or agree with. If a band I liked changed the music, image, or a band member left, sometimes I even went as far as saying they 'sucked' or 'sold out' to my friends. Now that I am a man and on the other side of this, I realize how ignorant I was about the whole thing. I mean, who was I to think I should have any say or input in what a band creates? Why did I feel the need to trash talk someone's life's work just 'cause I didn't get it? In my mind, I was the center of the universe and how dare my favorite band change a member or try a new sound or direction… aren't they making music just for me? Me, me, me, me, me...

(Photo courtesy of @stephaniedcabral)

Reading the comments and rhetoric on news sites and even our own social media pages, I can't believe some of the things people say. People act like they are inside our heads and write three paragraphs detailing how we changed, why we changed and all this shit that they have absolutely no knowledge about. It's so freakishly personal to them, but to us we are just making our music, OUR art; and it's extremely personal to us…. because it is us." -Howorth

No comments:

Post a Comment