Monday, February 9, 2015

36 Crazyfists - Time and Trauma

After sitting on this information for some time now, I thought a Monday morning would be a great time to share some information with one of my favourite bands for the last 13 years.  Alaska's 26 Crazyfists have been a household name throughout the years.  Their early record deal with Roadrunner Records, their endless tour schedules, and their distinct voice has made them out to be one of the few unique bands of the post-millennium era.

(Photo courtesy of 36CF)

So into more details of the album, "Time and Trauma" will be released on February 17th, 2015 via Spinefarm Records.  "Time and Trauma" marks 36CF's seventh studio album (6th on a label) and is the first release since their 2010 album "Collisions and Castaways".  This also marks their first album with newly inked record label Spinefarm Records, who are host to a wide range of bands such as Airbourne, Amaranthe, Children of Bodom, DragonForce, Nighwish, Rammstein, Seether, and many more.

“We’ve found a new home at Spinefarm Records. Although the label is new to us, some of staff are old friends and we couldn’t be more grateful to unleash the beast that is Time And Trauma with their help. 20 years in and it feels like Spinefarm is a killer home to hang our hats.” -Brock Lindow

(Album artwork courtesy of 36CF and Spinefarm Records)

1. Vanish
2. 11.24.11
3. Sorrow Sings
4. Lightless
5. Time And Trauma
6. Also Am I
7. Translator
8. Silencer
9. Slivers
10. Swing The Noose
11. Gathering Bones
12. Marrow
13. Edge of the End*
14. I, Erase*

(*=Deluxe Edition)

So how did the band come up with the name "Time and Trauma"?

“It wasn’t the original title. The original title was Lightless, which is another song. I thought Lightless was good, but no one else was feeling it. I could tell. Then one day, Holt [Steven, guitarist] said, ‘I think Time And Trauma is a better title.’ It just kind of fits because not only was it a dark time, but there’s peace, there’s closure, there’s rebirth. Lightless leaves it as bleak. Time And Trauma: do we have enough time to outlive the trauma? I think we do. I think time heals. Time heals in some capacity. Time and Trauma both go hand in hand on this record, but there’s definitely some light at the end.” -Lindow

For starters folks, check out the new single from the group titled "Swing The Noose".


In the grand scheme of the music industry, five years is quite the amount of time in between records.  But knowing their fan base (considering I am one of them), we have been eagerly ready for new material and will be sure to be in full force for the follow-up tour.  In a recent interview with Kerrang, lead vocalist Brock Lindow echoes these thoughts.

“I think we weren’t being challenged. People were burnt out about touring. My drummer Thomas [Noonan] was in the band for 18 years, and I’d played with him for over 20 years in another band before 36, he was so burnt out that it was not fun touring with him. And I love him to death, but when he decided to quit I it was just me and Holt. I give Holt a tremendous amount of credit because he is probably the reason the band is still together because he was like, ‘Let’s get Kyle! Let’s get Mick back.’ I didn’t know Mick [Whitney, bass] could come back because his mother had passed away as well, he was dealing with that, and he had a new child. There was all this life being lived. But Steve started writing and sending me the songs, and because I was dealing with the passing of my mom I had all this material that I wanted to write.” -Lindow

So all in all, I am happy with the return of the band and finding their way back to the studio/stage.  Unfortunately the band has not announced any Canadian dates yet so us folks 'north of the wall' will have to wait eagerly for their return.  Be sure to check out their Facebook page for updates on the European/US tour over the next few weeks.



Keep checking back as more information could be added up until the release date.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment