Monday, February 23, 2015

Review of Bush @ The Sound Academy (February 18th, 2015)

Is it sad or gratifying that I waited a good twenty years to see another legendary grunge band from the nineties?  Whether you are like me and have only gotten a glimpse of Bush once, or multiple times for those die hard fans, there is something encapsulating of Gavin's vocals soaring over hit singles from my youth.

The evening did not start off like I had hoped.  My post-day job festivities at a local pub proved to be in vain as I arrive at the venue without a cell phone.  Good start to the evening eh?  Regardless of losing something like a phone, I reminded myself that the phone can be found/replaced by the next day.  'But for now, there is a band in front of you that you have waited 20 years to see.  DO NOT F**K THIS UP!'  So that's just what I did.

Opening act Theory of a Deadman proved to be a dull momentum.  Not that I have an issue with their music, but someone in the sound department I think needed a few extra songs to get the tweak just right.  Overall, it wasn't the best performance of TOADM in my history of watching them live.  But that just made us more eager to hear the main headliners of the night.  BUSH!

The guys came out in as confident as they would have following a showstopping album like "Sixteen Stone".  From afar, the guys haven;t aged a day and the sound/vocals was top notch.  I remember debating the $50 ticket purchase when they initially went on sale.  Then had my girlfreid metaphorically slap me and said "It's Gavin and the guys from Bush.  How could you not?!"

(
(Random video footage of Bush @ The Sound Academy, February 18th, 2015)

The setlist for the night was:

1. The Sound of Winter
2. Bodies in Motion
3. Everything Zen
4. Greedy Fly
5. Man on the Run
6. The Chemicals Between Us
7. This House Is On Fire
8. The Only Way Out
9. Swallowed
10. Letting the Cables Sleep
11. The Gift
12. Just Like My Other Sins
13. Little Things

Encore:
14. Machinehead
15. Once in a Lifetime (Talking Heads cover)
16. Glycerine
17. Comedown

Gavin, you are more than welcome to visit Toronto again very soon and can assure you my friends and I will be back in full force losing our voices as we sing "I don't want to come back down from this cloud!"


(Random video footage of Bush @ The Sound Academy, February 18th, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment