Wednesday, April 17, 2013

VRRVR (Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor Review)

So Zombie...

Ive been discussing it for some time now on the blog.  His new album "Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor" basically came out of left field when we all thought he was working on his film "Lords of Salem".  Side note, can't wait to check out that film!


All cards on the table, I've been disappointed with Rob Zombie and his musical endeavours the last few years.  Between "Educated Horses" and "Hellbilly Deluxe II", I thought that Rob was reaching the point of no return.  Much like other metal artists in the past, you can either make a f**kin great album and return to former glory or continue to play to "greatest hits" tours.  We all have those artists in our lives who have done either or.  I guess both EH and HDII had their own merit. Both albums had tracks I could listen to, but ultimately fell flat.  Hell, I'd even settle for some White Zombie, if were not going back too far for comparisons.

Now moving on to greener pastures.  VRRV is a breath of fresh demonic air into your lungs that you expect Zombie to do upon every album release.  I guess like most other enthusiasts, I have been holding out for an album that would rival the likes of the debut "Hellbilly Deluxe" or my personal favourite "The Sinister Urge".  This may not topple the other albums it but damn if it ever comes close.  It's an album that gives you the new and the old of Zombie.

An eerie and slow building track that kicks off the album, "Teenage Nosferatu Pussy" is a great welcome back from the Zombie crew.  I think at this point I have to point out the [always] great guitar work from John 5.  A veteran guitar player for Zombie now, I've continued to find him unchallenged in his role(s)...both Manson and Zombie.  I mean, when comparing those bands to his solo albums it really makes the difference.

Anyways, the single "Dead City Radio and The New Gods of Supertown" at first glance does not seem all that interesting, being neither heavy nor original.  After a few times of playing the track it really starts to get in your head.  Like a bad song that doesn't seem to leave, this track still sounds like Zombie and will always be a better choice than the annoyance of whatever you just heard on the radio...no pun intended.


Though a "Theme For The Rat Vendor" is a small break in the opening of the album, some of the tracks lack the authenticity of the original Zombie are "Revelation Revolution", "Gong Gang Gong De Do Gong De Laga Raga", "Rock And Roll (In A Black Hole)."  Not that they are worth skipping over in the CD but are single listen songs in my opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed the remaining tracks of the album.  Both "Behold, The Pretty Filthy Creatures" and "White Trash Freaks" bring me back to my "Sinister Urge" days.  One with a great fast paced beat throughout the entire track and the other a sluggish anthem style song that both resemble vibes of "Dead Girl Supertar/Never Gonna Stop".  An instant win in my books.

Then we have THE COVER.  It's almost an expectant in this day and age for a band/artist to cover artists they grew up on and influenced them.  I think Zombie would do the best job explaining the reason behind covering Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band".

"I've never recorded a cover song as a solo artist, and I only recorded a few with WHITE ZOMBIE [KISS' 'God Of Thunder', BLACK SABBATH's 'Children Of The Grave' and KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND's 'I'm Your Boogie Man']. But you always wanna add new songs into your live show, so John 5 and I would always sit in the back of the bus listening to stuff we could cover, but it was always like, 'Nah, that one's not right.' Cover songs are tricky. You gotta find just the right one. 'We're An American Band' hit us because it just felt so much like our life. We're a quintessential American band — everything that's right or wrong in Americana in one band. It wasn't like we were trying to say anything deep or meaningful. [laughs] It was just like, 'Yeah, we're in a rock band. Fuck you — it's awesome.'"

The rest of the album trails off with tracks such as "Lucifer Rising", "The Girl Who Loved The Monsters" and "Trade In Your Guns For A Coffin".  All these tracks still give a great heavy vibe to the album which makes it a great closing.  I honestly understand when Zombie was discussing the theme for the album and bridging of his new work and revisiting the days of early solo and White Zombie.

"I think for the first time this new album perfectly merges the old days of WHITE ZOMBIE with the future of what I am doing now.  I think fans of both will agree that this is the perfect combo of both worlds."

With that being said, here's your chance to go take a listen to the album and prove me wrong or right.  I have a feeling you'll have similar feelings though.  Check out my other article covering the release of this album:

AFGM: Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor

No comments:

Post a Comment