Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gym Music

So I have started to get back into the routine of working out on a daily/semi daily basis.  This wasn't a result of a new years resolution or anything, just me deciding to get back into shape in light of all the good summer weather, drinking and eating.  So been at it for approx 8-9 weeks now and seem to be basing my workout on my playlist.

I tend to be one of those guys that needs to have some form of tunage going on while I try and shed those unwanted love handles.  I remember my first few days back to the gym I wasn't feeling the groove or the endorphins, whatever the explanation was.  I concluded that I didn't have the "umph" factor to finish my sets, and ultimately came down to my music selection.

The reason I am discussing this is because:

1) I am an avid endorser of staying healthy and eating healthy to the best of your ability.

2) Everyone grooves to a different tune and wanted to get some convo going surrounding what I like to call "gym music".

My first few weeks consisted of some metal, some jazz fusion and some straight up rock n roll.  I believe I had groups such as Killswitch Engage, Alexisonfire, TRAM, and some Rage Against The Machine.  I think at this point I was getting prepped for my Arm The Homeless (RATM cover band) show in my hometown so that HAD to be on my mind.  Others were simply tunes to get the blood pumping.  I absolutely love those times when I'm in the gym, finishing a a set and a beast of a track like KSE's "Fixation on The Darkness" comes on.  That was the extra energy I needed right there.  Something to basically kick the body into overdrive and just finish off strong.


I apologize in advance but EDM is not my cup o tea when at a gym and personally am sick to death of it when I set foot in a Goodlife Fitness, Extreme Fitness or any high intensity gym.  I fail to see how EDM at a gym does anything but make people want to take mind experimenting drugs and dance till you drop.  This does not do well for me only because I find that BPM of music gets my breathing patterns all messed up and eventually leading to side stitches, but I digress.  To each their own.

And thus is what I have been sticking towards with the tunes.  I enjoyed my times grooving to some TRAM and some RATM (hahaha word jumble), but I felt those breakdowns a comin' and they seemed to act as my trigger for extra dopamine, creating extra optimism to finish off my routine.

So currently, my mix for the gym is as follows:

1) Hacktivist - Hacktivist (EP)

Recommended track: "Unlike Us":



2) Heartist - Nothing You Didn't Deserve (EP)

Recommended track: "Disconnected":



3) Solace - Call & Response

Recommended track: "Naive":



4) Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Recommended track: "The Gift of Guilt":



5) Architects - Daybreaker

Recommended track: "Alpha Omega":



Now here is the next tricky part is choosing the next batch of tunes to add to the daily workouts.  I tend to rotate every few weeks and tis about time to do so.  Hmmmmm...... decisions, decisions.


Anyone care to divulge their "gym music" or add some recommendations or thoughts then you know the deal.  Comment, message, email, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I love making music and expressing myself. Thank you for sharing this with us! This is my favorite quote that has really served me, "There is nothing more important than you feel good."- Abraham Hicks. I also created a whole video dedicated to motivation and feeling good. I titled it, "Inspirational Love Quotes". If you want to check it out, Click Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBcEGRH4ARk If you like it, Share it! Put a smile on someone else's face too. :)

    ReplyDelete