Friday, May 24, 2013

Music News and New Music for May 24th, 2013

So of course, when running your own blog solo it can be tough to keep up with the s**tload of stuff that comes across our ears over a weekend!  Some good, some bad, some not even worth mentioning.  I guess that's how I use AFGM in general.  These articles that I go through everyday from various sites (Blabbermouth,. Bravewords, CBC, National Post, AV Club, Music News, MissInfo, Billboard, Rolling Stone, etc.) and sort of "filter" some of the nonsense news such as the latest fashion design, who's got beef with who and who ISN'T doing music...still.

These articles brought forth are for a few different reasons:

1. It is relevant music information that pertains to you as a reader, no matter the level of intent or the genre.

2. They are relevant to the music I would be currently listening to or a genre I have put some attention and focus on.

3. I am somewhat patriotic about my Canadian music, so that always comes as a first for me.  I enjoy music from all parts of the world respectively, but I still have to promote local if I can.  Canadian music rocks!

4. Because it's humourous and we can ALWAYS use a good laugh.  Rarely will it be at someone's expense...but then again I am just the guy talking about it.  They're the ones causing the comments.

So in closing, I trust you all will not read EVERY single article posted here.  But I hope you find something of use here and keep the conversation going by forwarding it onto someone else.  Click on each article heading for redirection to the full article.  Cheers!




Review: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes @ Phoenix Concert Theatre | May 17:

"After warming up the two previous bands, the Gimme Gimmes were able to get heads rolling and fists flying despite their lack of bassist Fat Mike (replaced with Eric Melvin from the same band). Unfortunately I ate too many burritos and nachos from Sneaky Dees and wasn’t able to get in the crowd for more than 3 seconds to mosh or else I would have suffered from projectile vomit. Yet, despite even that circumstance, I was able to thoroughly forget about my stomach pains and have my head groove for the night. If any of you reading this ever gets the chance, I highly recommend going to see Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, they’ll surely bring bout a good time."


Ghost (aka Ghost BC) did an amazing cover of Depeche Mode's "Waiting For The Night":




Beatles lyrics donated to British Library:

"Visitors from all over the world are thrilled to see such legendary lyrics in their very earliest draft form." -Roly Keating


Blake Shelton, Toby Keith boost benefits for Oklahoma:

"My son-in-law went right in, turned his truck over getting there, gets electrocuted climbing in the school. The EMT guys pull him out of there and tend to him, and then he goes right back in and helps with search and rescue. Everybody's like that." -Keith


45% Fewer Professional Working Musicians Since 2002:



REM's Mike Mills says 'no reunion':

"We said we're done and we're done. If we honestly thought there was a chance of a reunion tour, we might have said so at the time."


Rolling Stones to rock with Mississauga choir:

“There was silence at first, then loud screaming, cheering, disbelief, some of them fell on the floor. I understand some of them had trouble convincing their parents it was true.” -Bob Anderson (choir director)


John Fogerty Rolls Down 'Mystic Highway' on 'Letterman':




Jared Leto on Thirty Seconds to Mars' 'Personal' New Album and Ignoring Critics:

"There are always going to be people that are judgmental that are going to say, 'Well, he was an actor first, so he doesn't have the right to be a musician,' or, 'I know him as this, so therefore I will never accept him as that.' I can't change those people. I can only be myself. And I can only keep making art. I can only do the best that I can. I am not going to spend my life trying to silence the critics. I'm going to do what I'm passionate about and follow my dreams."


10 Artists Who Switched Genres:

Katy Perry, Michael Bolton, Beastie Boys, and many more!


Metallica Through the Never - Official Teaser Trailer:




Why Daft Punk Wear Helmets:

"Back in the Nineties, the duo placed black bags on their heads during promotional appearances and bought creepy Halloween masks to wear at photo shoots. The robot helmets, designed by French artist friends, originally featured campy brown wigs – curly for Bang­alter, flowing for de Homem-Christo. En route to the 2001 magazine shoot where they first unveiled the helmets, though, Daft Punk yanked off the hair, deciding the robots looked better bald." -Bang­alter


Audio Preview of Alice In Chains' “The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here”:


Alice In Chains In Concert 2013: A Looking-In View:

"The hardest part is done — Alice In Chains is back and awesome. But now they must again ascend the dreaded Mt. Sophomore Album, draw on a source of relatable theme and tone, and riff nastily and originally."


Boysetsfire Premiere “Let It Go” Music Video:




LAMB OF GOD Members Discuss Safety At Shows:

"Since I've been growing up, it's been a common practice — stage diving and stuff like that. And we just see more and more people getting hurt doing that kind of thing, and whether it's the band, the security, the barricades, the venue… whatever it is… there's so many random pieces to the puzzle that could end up with loss of life, which is what we had; it happened to us. So it's not that we wanna change the show — we can't just stop people from stage diving for the rest of eternity; it's not what we're trying to do. But I think that when you come into a show, you need to know that you need to be responsible for your own actions and you need to think about what you're doing." -Chris Adler


DEVICE, ‘VILIFY’ (PHILIP STEIR REMIX):




Chino Says DEFTONES Lost Record Eros Not Coming Out Anytime Soon:

“We’re actually not entertaining anything. I get asked about that all the time. And I’ve been giving the same answer for like… ever since people have been asking me about it, I’ve been saying that ‘probably someday.’ The only thing I said differently the other day that I could think that I said was ‘sooner than never.’

I mean you know now there is some sort of closure with what happened with Chi. That was obviously… Him and his state that he was in and you know, in general, it wouldn’t feel right to try to even think about going back to that record and trying to release it at that time… You know, with the hope that he would still wake up.

I don’t know, so we never really looked back at it then. But with his passing recently I mentioned that I did listen to some of the music. It was a very emotional experience because it took me back to that time when we were recording those songs, and those were pretty much the last days that I got talk with him and have a conversation with him, so… And when listening to it I thought to myself it might be cool for people to hear this sooner than never. Will it happen soon? I don’t know, probably not.”


THE DEFILED - Sleeper (OFFICIAL LYRIC VIDEO):



New album "Daggers" coming Summer 2013.


MISERY SIGNALS Announce New Album And Tour Dates:


Announcing the new album, "Absent Light", released 7/23! 


Sir Christopher Lee Is Releasing A Metal Album On His 91st Birthday:



"The first Charlemagne album is metal, of course, but what I sang was more symphonic.  Now on the second one, The Omens of Death, it is 100% heavy metal. I've done my bits and pieces, and they are heavy metal. I'm not screaming or anything like that, but it is definitely heavy metal." -Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment