Thursday, May 2, 2013

Is Somebody Singing?

So a round table discussion with friends about their favourite new music they have heard in the past few weeks.  Each of us had our different choices and slightly different genre.  Then my friend Sarah asks me to put on a Barenaked Ladies song.  I thought, 'OK, good Canadian group so no problem', and so I asked her what song she wanted to hear.

She mentioned one called "I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)".  I told her I have never heard of this track from them before.  She mentioned something about recording the track in space when it finally started to clue in.  After watching the 5:29 video, I was blown away.  To think that we have the technology now to record 400km up in the sky and transmit back down to CBC Studios was nothing short of awesome!

So watching this video again just made me realize all the amazing feats that we (as humans) have done for the arts in the past few decades.  From vinyl/8 track to digital space recording in a matter of a few generations is simply astounding.  So for those who did not get the chance to check this out on CBC Radio 3, here is the outcome.

"The Barenaked Ladies, a children's choir, and the commander of the International Space Station. Put them together and what do you get? The first space-to-earth musical collaboration."



"The song, "I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing) was commissioned by CBCMusic.ca and The Coalition for Music Education with the Canadian Space Agency to celebrate music education in schools across Canada."

I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did this morning.  And much thanks to my friend Sarah for providing the link!  Drop some of your thoughts about the video and/or the song.

"So sing your song I’m listening
out where stars are glistening
I can hear your voices bouncing off the moon
If you could see our Nation
From the International Space Station
You’d know why I want to get back soon"

No comments:

Post a Comment