Thursday, May 9, 2013

How You Become A Musician

Something that is always on my mind when someone asks me about an episode of "The Voice" or "American /Canadian Idol".  Somehow people have it in their heads that since I enjoy all kinds of music that I would willingly tune into these shows so that the laziest of music industry leaders do not have to actively search for new talent, they just exploit it for a small portion of their profits.

How many Idol winners have gone on to successful careers?  How many of them actually write their own music?  How many of them need not have a shitload of specials guests in order to sell a single copy?  Then again,  I look at the demographics these shows cater to and it makes sense.  Simple minded people following simple minded shows.  Ohhh, so Aerosmith was on the episode last night, so that makes it rock n roll right?

Making music (and like most fine arts) require time, attention, dedication and common sense to make it in life.  Singing into a microphone for a few songs doesn't make you a musician, it means you have a good voice.  All musicians you see out there have put blood, sweat and tears into making a name for themselves and deserve to reap some of the rewards they earned.  Like a badge on their sleeve, they played from the shittiest of one horse bars to stadiums and everything in between.  They didn't have a number on their shirts, hoping to be one of those thousands of people who 'make it'.


I don't know how many times this can be said without it being overkill, but Dave Grohl is truly one of the best guys in rock n roll, hands down.  It's nice to see in a digital age that someone can bring people back to reality and reinvigorate the spirit of music and the passion that goes along with it.

Will I ever try out for an Idol spot?  HELL NO!

Will I regret the years of hauling my gear from bar to bar, playing in front of a handful of people?  The recording sessions?  The interaction with other bands?  The fact that I didn't require a TV program and panel of judges to determine my place in the music world?  HELL F**KIN NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment